Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: We don't need no stinking training!

Any training is better than none.

First post !

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #2
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

"You may be on another brand of motorcycle, but someday, you'll be on a Harley," Lessard says. "If you're on two wheels, I'm interested in making you a better rider."

The only training I have ever had was from roadracers. I don't believe anyone else is qualified to tell someone else how to ride a motorcycle well. Especially not some dude selling Harleys.

State Sen. Bob Letourneau has apparently never ridden a motorcycle if he thinks "pressing the handlebars in the direction they want to go" is the proper technique.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
IceWorm
Registered Member

I saw this on Yahoo News. Wear protective gear, get training, that's what I say. If we keep repeating it maybe it will sink in!
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 AM   #4
IceWorm
Registered Member

Roadracers have no special insights into safe riding in city traffic, you need the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for that.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:26 AM   #5
banditrider
Registered Member

"State Sen. Bob Letourneau has apparently never ridden a motorcycle if he thinks "pressing the handlebars in the direction they want to go" is the proper technique"

Sounds like a simple description of countersteering to me.......
banditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

The real fact is that almost all states make it so easy to get a motorcycle license it's embarassing. First, as much as people hate this idea, graduated licensing needs to be implemented in all states. Want a start on that? Steal England's licensing system. Next, make sure all states fund the MSF. Georgia charges us motorcyclist for the fund, yet they don't actually fund the MSF. Where's the money, Sonny? Making the MSF affordable is what draws riders. If the price is right then people will sign up. Then the MSF HAS to get trainers. It's a non-profit. Pay some guys a real world wage and trainers will flock in. If your MSF course went from $60 to say $85 wouldn't you still pay? Here in GA the course is over $250 and private courses "Rider's Edge" is closer to $350. Is Rider's Edge non-profit?

I could go on but you get the point. Oh, one last rant. If the ABATE guys would get off the stupid helmet laws and turn that concern to REAL rider safety then maybe their membership would grow and the rest of the world wouldn't think they're a bunch of yahoos.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:42 AM   #7
cptaebphd
Founding Member

NH State motto: "Live Free or Die!" Hopefully, the powers that be can convince riders that rider education is essential to enjoying the sport and that training does not infringe on their "freedom" but enhances it. But for the love of God/Buddha/Zeus/The White Witch, don't pass a law!
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:52 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"If the ABATE guys would get off the stupid helmet laws and turn that concern to REAL rider safety then maybe their membership would grow and the rest of the world wouldn't think they're a bunch of yahoos."

Obviously with a statement like that, you haven't the slightest cluse what A.B.A.T.E. stands for. Go look it up.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Few things are more frightening than elected officals getting "concerned" about a problem so that they can "solve" it. While training is an excellent (and the best) solution you must never forget that the govt's preferred method of dealing with accident rates is "passive restraint". You can bet that horsepower limits, speed governors and such are sure to be proposed if the rates don't go down. Anyone who remembers the Carter Administration's Joan Claybrook should shudder at the thought.

The "solutions" that the bureaucrats come up with can be mind-boggling. M/C seat belts for example. No, I am not making that up. Linked braking was another mandate that was ready to be implemented until, fortunately, Carter lost the election and Claybrook went off to raise daisies.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:03 AM   #10
pattonme
Founding Member

Unfortunately ABATE *doesn't* stand for "a Brotherhood For Training Enforcement".

I'll financially and politically support ABATE the instant they repeal their idiotic "no mandatory helmet" stance. "training and education" is a disengenuous platitude to mask their "we don't want to wear no stinkin' helmet" BS.

Sorry, you WILL wear your helmet and you WILL LIKE IT! Nitwits!
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote