Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   We don't need no stinking training! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/3012-we-dont-need-no-stinking-training.html)

Abe_Froman 09-08-2005 10:47 AM

Re: We don't need no stinking training!

P.S. the performance of your bike is a static measurement. The question is how much of that performance you use on the street. If you are in an emergency situation you might be forced to use more of the performance of the bike than you would normally consider safe because it is preferable to take a risk and attempt to avoid an accident than to simply crash without bothering to try. For instance, when on the track, I learned to brake harder than I ever have on the street, save for one instance......and my track experience saved me from going through the tailgate of an SUV in that instance.

Abe_Froman 09-08-2005 10:52 AM

This "problem" will never be solved until we redefine it as the price of liberty. In a free country people have the right to do stupid things. Fortunately for motorcycles, they are much less of a risk to other innocents than stupidity behind the wheel of a car or truck, therefore why this defined as a "problem" is beyond me.

The long and short of it----it is not a problem to be fixed with laws and taxes and government. It is a problem for each individual to solve in the way he sees fit, even if he sees fit to solve it by ending up in a casket.

Abe_Froman 09-08-2005 10:56 AM

How is it painfully obvious? I don't see a problem at all. At least not anything government needs to go around pointing guns at people, and taking their money, to fix.

Liberty means the freedom to do stupid things. Make the negligent pay when they hurt someone else, otherwise, leave it alone. Traffic deaths per mile travelled has been dropping for decades, why it's a problem now is truly vexing.

pattonme 09-08-2005 11:16 AM

as another MSF instructor I beg to differ. The skills we teach are the absolute least a rider needs to move the bike around a parking lot at <20mph. Before anybody should be allowed to operate on the street they should take Part 2 of the course which raises speeds and requires far more stringent passing scores.

wayback 09-08-2005 11:47 AM

Hey, relax there Valentino. Apparently you were the only one that took "push" to mean the same as "turn", and I was just trying to aim you toward learning something it looked like you didn't know, and should. Surprisingly, there are a ton of people out there that don't have a clue about how a bike turns. So if we agree on what countersteering is, offering to teach me about it sounds a little arrogant and frothy around the mouth.

Abe_Froman 09-12-2005 06:33 AM

And

"hard to understand how someone supposededly trained by anybody doesn't know about countersteering. Apparently that "training" left out a few things."

sounds a little condescending. So I probably did sound a little arrogant in response. FYI, I am a licensed roadracer and did 4 sprints this past weekend. You were a little quick on the draw to charge me with ignorance on the subject of countersteering.

Sliver 09-27-2005 09:04 AM

You mention the only training you ever had was from roadracers and no else is qualified to tell someone else how to ride a motorcycle well. With an attitude adjustment, you may be able to expanded your education well enough to understand what is meant by pressing the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Otherwise, you can continue to spout off about something you do not understand. Challenge yourself a bit: Take the basic rider course and see where a novice rider might be able to score higher than you do. As an MSF Rider Coach with 37 years riding expierience, I have seen this happen many times. If you can accomplish this, please come back and tell us your score. Mario LDComfort.com

Mollygrubber 10-29-2005 08:28 PM

Re: Back to the sausage factory for you...

I'm with you in spirit, Abe, I think you just suffered from a case of itchy trigger fingers. I believe (all you people quick to flame a hasty response - very hasty) what Abe meant was 'Let's have some constructive input from QUALIFIED experts, not salesmen and grandstanding politicians.'