Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-08-2005, 03:50 AM   #61
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: We don't need no stinking training!

when they talk about a basic rider course being for people with less than 500 miles of experience they mean it. if you even think you know how to ride take the advanced course, but other than the prerequisit don't drink and drive you will mostly be taught how to wheel your new uber hog into and out of the bar's parking lot with out tipping over and ebarasing yourself or scratching the new crome..

I took the brc and after two days of schloging though the rain on a whooped 250 nighthawk I jumped on my speed triple and realized that 8 pistons, 320 mm and four fingers create one hell of an unintentional stoppie. wear as much gear as you want, ride sober and accept the fact that motorcycling is simply not as safe as riding in a 5000lb suv, but no one is gonna bother siphoning gas out of your bike...
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2005, 04:10 AM   #62
pudlepirate
Registered Member

harleys gonna love that, they make one bike that small, the yugo if you will 883 sportster, which has never been acused of being fast. maybe people don't need real deal race replicas, but the hefty tax you speak of is insurance and we is allready paying it, I was quoted a full coverage rate on my speed triple, a naked sub 1000 cc sub 120 horsepower motorcycle at just under 5000 dollars a year, and I have a spotless record!!! in fact your whole line of reasoning is bogus, I supose you suport giving a waiver to touring and cruiser genres, my bike may acelerate faster but it stops and turns on par with a quarter million dollar exotic car, find a cruiser that can out break an econo box and I will buy you lunch!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:23 AM   #63
pudlepirate
Registered Member

the navy published misshap findings: the two most injured groups of riders are under 25 and over 40, they specificly mentioned that while most of the <25ers drove sport bikes they almost allways wore full protective gear and were sober. accidents were mostly atributed to outriding their abilities, the midle age crowd on the other hand rode predomitly cruisers and did not wear any gear they out rode their machines. I stuffed my speed triple in a ditch, and with the eception of a broken hand and a slightly torn rotator cuff I was unscathed, not any road rash even. me I believe in leathers and a helmet.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Okay.

Here and here are some braking tests. Notice that the Vulcan 1500 stops in less distance than any of the sportbikes.

Physics. A heavier bike applies more newtons to the ground and gives better friction than a light bike. It can stop just as quickly.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:50 AM   #65
jeffs
Founding Member

Must be hard to type with your head buried in the sand. Racing has just about nothing in common with street riding. Of course, your harley comment just confirms your ignorance...
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:58 AM   #66
jeffs
Founding Member

Regardless of how big the flaws are, it's still better than sending him out on the street with nothing at all.

That said, I was horrified that everyone in my MSF class passed.

One woman had to redo the emergency stop test three times because she was too scared to get up to the required speed. She never did go fast enough and they gave up. Passed her anyway though...

The guy that dumped the bike twice, almost running over an instructor in the process... passed. He was only there because his riding "club" wouldn't let him associate with them unless he took the class. Maybe they got him straightened out when he got back home...

Old 09-08-2005, 04:59 AM   #67
pablodk
Registered Member

Or buried somewhere else!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #68
jeffs
Founding Member

That's funny.

We haven't managed to train people how to signal before turning or changing lanes - that they need to actually turn their head and look before changing lanes - or that the left lane is meant for passing only and you're supposed to move right as soon as possible.

How do you propose we go about reeducating these people to look for bikes?

Of course, at the same time, most riders aren't making an effort to be seen. Helmets and jackets are bought to match the bike rather than to stand out. If you really cared about being seen you wouldn't be on your black bike with a black helmet with a black jacket. Yea, you might not look cool in a dayglow yellow vest, but you would definitely be seen by more people.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 AM   #69
jeffs
Founding Member

The fact that the five bike lines with the highest accident rates are all sportbikes would seem to disagree with that theory.

I do agree that it's more about the person than the bike they're on, but sportbikes, and the mentality they bring with them are about as noobie friendly as the grill of the oncoming car.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:34 AM   #70
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Okay.

I think somebody owes somebody else lunch! HeHe!