Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #51
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Default Re: We don't need no stinking training!

I'm a newbie still, started riding last november and have since logged 8800 miles, and I also have no hard data....but I think you're on to something. I've paid more attention to motorcycle accident reports here in arizona since starting riding and one thing I keep seeing over and over....the people dying and getting hurt are on cruiser-type bikes. I've met some cruiser-style riders who are expert riders....but the majority I've seen don't impress me with their skills. They seem to be more concerned with their image than anything. Another thought about cruisers: Most are low to the ground and have one headlight and usually one very small tail light. Combine their low visibility with a low seat height and a rider wearing a black t-shirt and ray-bans and you get a very low-visibility vehicle...at least compared to someone on a taller, more standard bike with a bright colored helmet and riding jacket. I really think this low visibility contributes greatly to the accidents here, most of which are cagers turning left in front of motorcyclists.

JQ

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #52
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Interesting....I actually requested a Blast for my beginners course last year because I was considering buying one as a first bike (glad I didn't BTW). I thought it was pretty easy, my only problems were scraping the pegs in corners (hehe), and constantly locking up the rear wheel in quick stops. But I think that had alot to do with the wet pavement....I did my riding practical and test in the rain. I think I had an advantage over the shadow 250 riders in negotiating the low-speed figure 8 in the box manuvers, and although the front brake on the blast was really strong I had no problems knowing exactly what the front wheel was doing during quick stops.

JQ
Old 09-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #53
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

Yeah, training is good. Now that I got that out of the way, remember that there are more bikes on the road now than there have been for a long time, probably since the oil crisis of the 70s which saw a spike in the number of riders that lasted into the 80. With current gas prices going the way they are, there will no doubt be more bikers to come. Yes, some of them will be green and who wouldn't benefit from more training. But what about car drivers. Were the bikers at fault in these accidents? Could anything really have been done by the riders to avoid getting killed anyway? Car drivers are encountering more and more bikes on the roads. Where they could get away with being less aware of riders before, the consequences of drivers not being bike aware is becoming more obvious. What about training for drivers to educate them to share the road, look properly for bikes before drifting across lanes, etc?
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #54
oleland
Registered Member

I think that the brand of motorcycle a person is riding as some people infer has little to to do with the high accident rate we are seeing now with motorcyclists.A young motorcyclist of 21 on a sport bike was killed this weekend in my home town.He was running at a high rate of speed in a 25mph zone and hit a pickup truck.

I have seen an increase in accidents in my area this year and have noticed almost all have to do with speeding and ,or alcohol.I see motorcyclists running past my house every day ,which is in a 35mph zone running at probably double the speed limit.I have no idea how to stop people from speeding or drinking and riding ,if we could solve these problems it would go a long way to eliminating the high rate of accidents.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #55
gear_head
Registered Member

There was much more to the story. The bigger contributor was the modified ranges that most Riders Edge facilities use. i.e., they are in parking lots, and such with walls and other obstructions close to the perimeter of the range. In fact, some of the few who lost their lives during the training had panicked and gone into brick walls, or over curbs and into roadways. The abrupt clutch and weight of the bike were also listed.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #56
ofreen
Registered Member

We are doomed. More and more people are thinking this way.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #57
JmalB
Premium Member

I take my class next week. Going to be long days.

Work: 2300-0600

class: 0645-1145

Now if I can convince my dad to let me practice on his til I get my own...
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:13 AM   #58
mjs
Founding Member

Being a MSF rider coach, I have to disagree with some of the negative comments about the MSF and I also take issue with the MCN article about the MSF. MCN is not the final word on motorcycle safety and I think that they really missed the mark on their MSF "rant"

Is the MSF course perfect, no, but it does a real good job of teaching new riders some of the basic skills neded to survive on the street.
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 AM   #59
svo68
Registered Member

Default Re: Regulation / Speed Parts

you may be on to something bigger than the entire story....."we don't need congress anymore"....they are so far out of touch that we could do without them!!

svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:20 AM   #60
wayback
Founding Member

I'd venture to say that anyone who claims their only training has been from roadracers [whatever that means] probably knows less about safe street riding than the average MSF course graduate. What's appropriate for the track is not the same thing as what's appropriate for the street, either in technique or attitude. As far as pressing the handlebars to turn -- hard to understand how someone supposededly trained by anybody doesn't know about countersteering. Apparently that "training" left out a few things.
wayback is offline   Reply With Quote