Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #31
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: We don't need no stinking training!

sure I can. the moment we in the US mandate rigorous licensing standards and levy a HEFTY (a couple thousand $) tax on displacement over say 900cc or over 80HP.

Race bikes can be sold only in white-box form and their titles/VINS permanently branded as only for off-highway use. Also factory full-zoot cams, ignition boxes etc would not be sold to the general public.

No, this won't stop insane 600's being run on the streets or the likes of Megacycle or Fallicon from doing their magic. But it will cost real money and I'm betting joe squid won't be all that inclined to spend a couple grand and engine rebuild time to claw back the full-race performance.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #32
Tigercub
Founding Member

The helmet law debate is a political dodge. It misses the point. Motorcyclists safety is not about horsepower, speed or helmets, it's about training riders and raising awareness among drivers.

The anti-motorcycling politicians want it clean and simple; (1) Ban motorcycles, (2) if we can't ban motorcycles make them pay for their accidents, (3) if we can't do that make them wear a helmet so we can separate the good ones from the bad ones, (4)...

We're trying to say we have a right to be among the priveledged driving class and should be treated with the same respect.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 AM   #33
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Yeah I spose. [rolls eyes]
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #34
Tigercub
Founding Member

I totally disagree. I read those articles and I give more credit to the manufacturers. They're saying the current training system is a mess and we can't wait for them to train our customers. The Gov't isn't taking this seriously and if we don't step in it will get worse.

Not too many years ago there was no rider training. Everyone my age and older learned from a friend or was taught the basic control functions from the dealership and sent wobblying off down the road. I picked up my brand new CB350 in '73 and was told to go down the road behind the shop rather than head out on the major thouroughfare in front which was full of traffic. In their small way they did care about me as a customer and wanted me to come back to buy another motorcycle.

Harley's (Rider's Edge - I think it's called) program wants every customer to have some training before riding away with one of their bikes. They want you to come back, buy accessories, and eventually another motorcycle. They're thinking about you as a long term customer. That's good business practice and it works in my favor, because I want to come back too!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #35
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Yes this is what we need. More of nanny government stepping in and pointing their guns at people engaged in voluntary and mutually beneficial trade and demanding either that they change the terms of the deal, extract money from them, or stop them outright.

I'm sorry I forgot which clause of the Constutition gives the federal government the authority to regulate the displacement and power output of my motorcycle. I didn't realize there was a provision in there to keep me safe from such evils.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #36
Whatmough
Founding Member

I always thought the motto was: Live Freeze and Die. The idiots in this state allow riders w/o helmets, so don't worry about a law that trys to impart some common sense and actually train to ride. It won't happen. Not in the Live Freeze and Die state anyway.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Really amazing

A whole shytload of motorcyclists who can't take any criticism of the govt. Oh boo hoo. Pussies.

A serving of pablum for you wussies.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Better cool it. You're going to upset the wussies with your anti-govenrment rantings.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #39
DBw9
Founding Member

If you can, get some issues of Motorcycle Consumer News over the past year (my local library carries it). MCN has explored this because they kept getting feedback from their readers (incl. instructors). I'm not familiar enough to give you details, but you're not alone thinking that there's a conflict of interest.
DBw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #40
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I have no data to back this up--yet--but common sense suggests that the increase in motorcylists' deaths is traceable directly to Harley riders. The numbers spike during 1997 to 2003, during which Harley enjoyed record sales every quarter. Coincidence? The average Harley rider's age is somewhere around 42 to 45 ... it explains everything, actually. You get some idiot with more money than brains who jumps on a 700 lb. hog with no training, and promptly kills himself. I believe the new study, the successor to the Hurt Report, will prove conclusively that this is so. Want to see deaths plummet? Make helmets mandatory again. The number of "bro's" who quit riding rather than have their lifestyles infringed will send those spiralling downward.