Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 AM   #11
yardbird
Founding Member

Default Re: We don't need no stinking training!

yardbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2005, 06:16 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

I am truly sorry for offending ABATE members but the fact is that I am a supporter of ABATE. My problem may be singled out to the state of GA but as far as I can see there is not REAL direction for the group outside of trying to repeal helmet laws. I know what the name means but it is not reflected in the current problem of educating motorcyclist. If you would have read my text in context I was not slamming ABATE as a whole I was conveing the fact that people outside the organization see the group as yahoos because of the semi-annual rides to the capitols of our states to complain about helmet laws. Why don't they do semi-annual rides to make the licensing laws tougher so the roads become safer. Or put up a b**ch about the fact that MSF courses aren't more widely offered.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 AM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

Who said "training enforment"? All I was hoping for was an acknowledgement of the fact that they should be "supporting" state sponsored training more vigorously.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #14
edward44
Founding Member

I know just what you mean, yardbird. My reaction too on reading a seruzawa post.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Whoa doggies. You really had to think hard to squeeze that one out didn't you, sweet cheeks?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
ncelik
Founding Member

There is also the factor that people who do voluntary safety training are going to be the people who are concerned with safety and are going to be people who ride safer on average.

People who do not wear helmets and disregard MSF training will be, on average, higher risk-takers.

Do not expect the problem to go away (entirely) with obligatory MSF training. I support voluntary MSF training.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:43 AM   #17
bbtowns
Founding Member

I'm probably alone on this, but after some limited involvement with MSF I'm starting to come to the conclusion that they're as interested in selling motorcycles and licensing new riders as they are in safety. Isn't Tim Buche president of both the MSF and MIC (motorcycle industry council)? Isn't the MIC's goals to promote the sales of new motorcycles?

I do believe training is a big part of the solution, and have been a huge fan of the MSF in the past, but wonder whether they're still capable of leading the training bandwagon in a credible way.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:48 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

"I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help"

Feel better now?

The quickest way to decrease fatalities is to get Rightious Partyin' Bro re-entry and newbie riders to realize that you can drink 15 beers and ride a motorcycle, no matter what you saw on TV or read in CheeseyRider. If you eliminate the accidents that involve drinking from the statistics, motorcycle fatalities have decreased every year.

Abate and the other "Biker Rights" groups should be focusing on that, not trying to live up to some Hollywood Bad-Ass image.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #19
desertbilly
Founding Member

Unfortunately, all of this is old news.

We all know the death rates are going up.

We all know the way to reverse this is implement euro-style graduated licensing, mandatory helmets, reduce moto-bar-hopping, etc.

We all know that American riders will never go for this in a million years.

The best thing Harley Davidson could do is start a massive publicity campaign to make rider training, ATTGATT, and riding straight look cool.

Lots of TV commericals about getting laid because you took lots of advanced rider training and wore a full-face helmet -- that would do the trick.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 AM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

"Trained riders would know how to negotiate a curve and would resist the urge to brake, instead pressing the handlebars in the direction they want to go", Letourneau says.

Racing schools teach you how to go around a curve, faster. The training classes you take to get your license don't let you on the street. The reason 'trained' riders survive much better on the street is because they take riding more seriously.

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote