Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/2956-buy-harley-lose-your-job.html)

pdad13 07-29-2005 07:20 AM

Re: New York Chapter votes...

Hmm, good point.

Hey, can there even be such a thing as a short-winded rant?

longride 07-29-2005 07:26 AM

Re: Are you that self unaware?

He said he doesn't own a TV. Maybe his fantastic "liberal employers" need to give him a raise.

m_t_yeo 07-29-2005 07:28 AM

Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

I'll put it in bike terms.

If I am a liberal owner of a bike shop, I don't give a rat's ass what bikes my staff ride in on. Harley, Honda, Yamaha ... I don't care. What is important is that they ride in in the first place. I want people working for me that love bikes, love to ride and who can infect my customers with that love of the lifestyle. I want staff who will put an arthritic 50+ on the cruiser that will keep him riding for a bunch more years at the same time as they can sell the hoidy-toidy office manager the Beemer he's been lusting after in the mags and the squid the Gixxer he's been bragging about at the local coffee shop. I want mechanics with experience on a bunch of different brands so that my customers can bring in their bikes - not necessarily ones they bought from me - to be serviced. I want them to love fixing bikes as a whole, not just x or y bike that they have a fetish for. The entire goal is to promote motorcycling as a whole - regardless of brand.

As a conservative bike owner, I choose the specific brand(s) that I think are the best and that I want to carry. I make sure that all my staff ride only those brands so that when people come in, they get a consistent message. I promote the brands I carry as the best option, pooh-poohing or putting down the others because I want my customers to believe that they are inferior. I want the best trained mechanics I can find - true experts in the brands I carry - so that I can promote my shop as the creme de la creme. Best bikes. Best service. Period. I want the image to be: 'buying anything other than what I carry would be unthinkable'. Any self-respecting owner would want to put their customers on the best rides around or else they wouldn't sleep at night, right? My goal is to educate and convince my customers so that they realize how great my bikes are and how amazing my service is and convert to my ideology.

I have a conservative bike shop owner in my home province. They sell only Italian bikes, always have, and have been putting down Jap sportbikes since the day they opened their doors. They are experts on wringing the best performance from a desmo, suiting you up to match the Ducatista lifestyle, promoting exotic near-race bikes from Aprilia and Ducati, etc. My friend works there as a mechanic and when they get together after work for a beer or two, it is like preaching to the choir because they all believe the same thing. This is the type of a bike shop that would fire you for buying a Harley.

This is also the type of bike shop that is in severe financial trouble right now. Aprilia is likely going under, taking Moto Guzzi with it if it goes. They have pissed off so many people by bad mouthing other brands - bikes that people have bought and are proud of owning - that they won't be able to make the switch to selling Jap sportbikes if the worst happens. Their mechanics have ALL their training on Italian bikes or have long forgot what they used to know.

Their conservative viewpoint cost them tons of good mechanics, loyal customers and potential brands to carry because they weren't open to the value of motorcycling as a whole. To them ... it meant riding Italian and Italian only.

Clear as mud?

Fenton 07-29-2005 07:28 AM

That marketing exec would have more than a phone stuffed in his mug.

sportbikebandit 07-29-2005 07:30 AM

Have I covered everything bad about Red State (banjo music playing)

Exactly red-staters (banjo music playing), get all the knowledge they need from Fox News.

OK I think I have ranted on about evil red-state (banjo music) stuff. I'll go back to work paying for all the red-state (banjo music) transfer payments that us blue-state(sophisticated alternative rock music) must do..

longride 07-29-2005 07:31 AM

I think he has something here

"Liberals surround themselves with other viewpoints because they deem it necessary for a healthy society to have many viewpoints. How can you make an effective decision without having all the different viewpoints in advance?"

Now I can understand why, after 4 years as President, Jimmy Carter was unable to remove his thumb from his ass! Thanks for clearing that one up. It had me stumped.

Fenton 07-29-2005 07:32 AM

Re: Be glad you're not in Mexico

Hey Buz, e-mail me an application. I own a biz here in california so you know I am comfortable at being "pimped out" really cheap.

sportbikebandit 07-29-2005 07:33 AM

BEST POST HERE MUST READ

Thanks Well said...

ofreen 07-29-2005 07:34 AM

Re: Are you that self unaware?

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that separate everything into two groups, and those that don't.

johnnyb 07-29-2005 07:34 AM

that exchange: Priceless...