Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-29-2005, 05:03 AM   #21
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

99.9% percent of the people here realize the political BS has no place in almost every discussion on this site.

However, in our "open mind" society, we can't condemn the member(s) that can't come up with constructive motorcycle related thoughts.

Hang around, I think you will enjoy the show and find otherwise, intelligent motorcycle info. between the tears of abuse.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2005, 05:04 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Nothin' like a free-for-all on a Friday. Get it all out guys. I've sensed the pent-up aggression. You can all thank me later.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:13 AM   #23
Fenton
Founding Member

No, but fire a guy for not showing up or not being able to do his job, and he has a new income from unemployment.

I've been through it 3 times, if the employee does not show "gross misconduct with malicious intent" the employer has no right to fire them.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:18 AM   #24
pplassm
Founding Member

This is a surprise? I am pretty sure this goes on all the time. I read of a case were a guy was fired for drinking Coors when he worked for Budweiser, or something similar.

Whether or not the firee has grounds for a lawsuit is the question.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:21 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I second his nomination.

In the future you can save yourself a lot of superfluous typing by just writing: "KPaul is an idiot."

Everyone will know what you're talking about.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:23 AM   #26
Fenton
Founding Member

I know someone that bought an Aprillia while working at a BMW dealership. The boss was not too happy.

I don't think being fired is in order, but as a boss you would be disappointed if an employee purchased a competitors product while working for you, no?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #27
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Not Quite True

I'm one of those evil, capricious bosses who casually fires people for showing up late or not being able (or willing) to do their job. That is called "firing for cause," and it means the ex-employee does not get unemployment benefits from me. I can and do protest and fight back against these claims. If I fire without cause, and not approving of his choice of motorcycle is not valid cause, then I'd have to pay into the unemployment insurance fund an amount approximately equal to half the employees annual wages (here in Texas, an "employment at will" state).

Firing the guy because I don't like his taste in motorcycles is perfectly legal here in Texas, but I would be financially punished for it by having to pay increased unemployment insurance premiums.

From a marketing point of view, I can certainly understand the managers not wanting his potential custers seeing that an employee prefers another brand of product.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 AM   #28
pdad13
Founding Member

Default New York Chapter votes...

"YAY!"

(Jeez, that was quick. It took me multiple long-winded rants to get nominated. Membership down?)

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 AM   #29
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

I don't own a television and yet ... I work for the local cable company. If my supervisors were as knee-jerk (emphasis on the jerk) as this guy's employers, I would be out of a job.

It all boils down to liberalism vs. conservatism.

Liberals surround themselves with other viewpoints because they deem it necessary for a healthy society to have many viewpoints. How can you make an effective decision without having all the different viewpoints in advance? Change is good, 'grey areas' are good, dissention is good (and healthy).

Conservatives surround themselves with one viewpoint because they feel it is the only 'correct' one. Anyone with another viewpoint is wrong and has to be converted or removed. Change is bad, 'black and white' is good because it is clear, dissention isn't tolerated.

My employers are liberal, this poor schmuck's are conservative and so he is out of a job while I'm still working and making my employers money.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

Sure we can, this is a motorcycle site, f**k them if they can't talk about bikes.

The boss sounds like a real ****head, I assume the guys level of competance as a mechanic was acceptable so he just shot himself in the foot. A good service dept. is a draw for a shop and will result in more showroom traffic and sales, whether or not one of the machanics rides the same product that the dealership sells isn't going to effect business one way or the other.

The mechanic will find another job, the shop owner just made himself look like a complete ******* in front of a few thousand people.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote