Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-30-2005, 02:50 AM   #231
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks for the rude awakening Steve (i'll shut up now)

Um, no. If you missed it, the employer has to grant unemployment, which they pay through a premium-based tax.

And some would reason that buying and riding a competitor's bike when you're in the motorcycle sales business is something to be frowned upon. Plus, we don't know what this employees history was before.

Tyranny, no. It's the private sector. The business owner can basically hire and fire who he wants, when he wants. Tyranny would be if the government made these decisions for him.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2005, 03:07 AM   #232
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Need to research before you talk

Actually 90% of the land mass of Illinois is Republican. You don't get the whole state. You get the great City of Chicago alone......with a big electric fence around it. Even most of the surrounding Burbs like Elmhurst and Naperville are Repubs, but you don't get those either. Between what a white boy like you can afford, and how well I'd bet you can fight, I'd say you should never, ever live there. Maybe Dem Daley can scam you a city job. Doubt it though. Don't include me in your Utopia.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:08 AM   #233
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, that was definitely clear as mud

Please, you know damn well how the terms "conservatisim" and "liberalism" were going to be taken in this discussion. Don't try to hide behind the 17th century definition. You meant it in the most politically charged sense.

Oh, and I think you're getting the same courtesy in return. You see, I also think of myself as a "liberal" thinker, too. So I will express my opinion. No one is stopping you from posting your gross generalizations, are they?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:37 AM   #234
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm still trying to figure out where he gets the idea that the term "competitive marketplace" has anything to do with running a BMW dealership. BMW has its guaranteed customers and the dealerships are apportioned so that they don't compete with each other.

Like an HD dealership, it's just a license to print money.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:20 AM   #235
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you that self unaware?

Whoah there big fellah ...

That is the whole point of putting things into a binary ... the differences get overemphasized on purpose in order to make a point. If you want to get offended by these two extreme examples, then feel free to, but I'm just going to sit here laughing from the sidelines at how quick your knee jerks and how upset you get over two fictional bike shops that I created in my head as an illustration. I'll howl when you take my comments and apply them to ALL conservatives and ALL liberals instead of just the specific story and my personal example.

Obviously you got offended by my use of the words ... so my question is this: why do simple words that have many uses and contexts give you such fits? Why do you tie yourself with conservatism so heavily that when it is portayed in a less than flattering manner you personally get upset?

m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:27 AM   #236
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: I think he has something here

Ask pdad and some of the other folks, too. I'm not the only one swinging in this bar fight.

I made a simple comment about liberal and conservative mindsets and how they can often cause problems and several other posters extended my comments to cover Conservatism vs. Liberalism and Blue States vs. Red States and Dems vs. Republicans. I wasn't speaking politically at all, but they took the ball and ran with it because they cannot make the distinction between different uses of the words.

If they want to get offended because they take my comments about a stupid-ass bike shop owner and extrapolate it to the whole world ... that's their issue, not mine. Now that the fight is started, I'm chiming in like the rest of them. Don't like it? Don't read the posts.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:39 AM   #237
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

<blockquote>Or, it's the definition of having an empirically or experientially correct belief. Do you arbitrarily change your beliefs just for the hell of it?

Empirically correct belief? Whatever. Conservative means traditional and traditional isn't always correct or empirically proveable. An extreme example is the Flat Earth Society: extremely conservative, extremely traditional and extremely wrong.

In the definition below, note my highlights ...

con·ser·va·tive: Pronunciation Key (kn-sûrv-tv)

adj.

1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.

3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.

1. Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.

2. Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.

5. Conservative Of or belonging to the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.

6. Conservative Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.

7. Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:49 AM   #238
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks for the rude awakening Steve (i'll shut up now)

Tyranny is when you exert force or control over someone else without their consent. An owner firing someone is tyrannical because the employee obviously doesn't consent. A government forcing him to keep said employee is just as tyrannical but in the opposite direction.

Holy ****e. Was that a few square yards of what they call 'common ground'?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:13 AM   #239
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

There is no paradox except for those folks who insist that all Republicans are the same.

Bush is just smart enough to hire really smart people to advise him. Those really smart people are the MBAs and CEOs. Those smart fellas use campaigns of 'creative disinformation' to manipulate the undereducated and prejudiced hicks into voting their way. Combine the backwards hicks with all the normal Republican voters and you had enough people to put the neocons into the White House. Powell used to call the neocons the 'crazies' when they were underlings in Reagan's administration, so even at the top ranks there are Republicans and there are Republicans, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:19 AM   #240
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

No ... I didn't mean it in the political sense at all. That is precisely what I didn't capitalize them, used 'liberal thinking' instead of 'liberal' when I remembered to, etc.

I didn't generalize to anything other than the story and the bike shop I know. You overreactionaries took my words and applied them to all conservatives and all liberals, applied my words in the political sense ... and got yourselves offended. You did the 'generalizing' all by your lonesomes.