Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #211
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you that self unaware?

Two posts, based on a specific story about a specific employee and a specific employer make a prejudice?

I personally hate ideologies of any stripe. Pick your poison based on the situation, not because you decide in advance that you are a liberal and liberal's think like this and act like that.

I dumbed down the example into two camps to make the distinction in my reasoning easier to see, not because I think in simplistic dualities.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #212
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

Firing someone is economic violence.

As an owner, you know that you are inflicting hardship on the firee and, if the firee has a family, on that family as well. Because of that, any reasonably compassionate employer is going to be judicious when canning someone, i.e. will do it for a good cause and when other alternatives haven't worked.

Having the right to fire willy-nilly doesn't mean that you should, in other words.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:22 PM   #213
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Because you disagree? I consider that a compliment!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:30 PM   #214
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you that self unaware?

They aren't fantastic. They haven't fired me, though, and so they are open-minded enought to allow a guy who hates TV to work for the cable company. That's pretty good in my books.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #215
nesbit
Founding Member

I suspect that more is going on here than meets the eye. Look into it and I'm certain we'll find that there's "history" with this particular employee. The HOG purchase, which I presume he flaunted about had to be calculated to irritate his boss. Unfortunately, for him it appears it was the last straw in the jar on his boss's desk. Regarding the silly spate of liberal/conservative interpretive theme letters, like MC-trouble shooting, it's recognizing the simple in-your-face lose connection that gets you rolling again and not complicating the process by searching for some tangential analytical solution. So, this incident really has nothing to do with competing political philosophies.

Nevertheless, it is fascinating to see certain respondent motorcyclists embracing liberalism (with a small l), when they should be acknowledging Libertarianism (with a large L) in the form of closet Republicans and Democrats. These are the folks, sometimes referred to erroneously as Conservatives, who continue to do battle in our interest and keep us from being legislated off the roads by the social agendaists who are convinced we need to be protected from ourselves and are intent on consolidating political power towards that end. Washington D.C. can't give you the freedom you already had and you can't fight the enemy until you can identify him.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 PM   #216
schizuki
Founding Member

"he should of asked his boss in typical Red-State fashion what kind of bike he should buy, who should he vote for, etc."

Yeah, unlike those sophisticated, logical, independent-thinking liberals who inhabit academic echo-chambers and coffeehouse clusterthinks, take their political guidance from Alec Baldwin, Green Day, and the thoroughly discredited Michael Moore, and think "The Daily Show" is a legitimate news source. Pick up any boringly predictable alt-left weekly and you'll see more lemmings than at the bottom of a cliff.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #217
schizuki
Founding Member

"You Red-staters (banjo music playing) crack me up.."

Make up your mind, kpaul - are Republicans stupid hicks, or MBA's and CEO's who rule the world?

It's like your Bush Paradox - "He's stupid, and an evil genius who twarts us at every turn."

You need to read Richard Hofstadter's "The PAranoid Style in American Politics" right now. Seeing that you have a problem is the first step to a cure.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #218
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Not Quite True

The point people are making, dipsh!t, is that the employer has the right to fire the guy, even if we don't agree with his reason. See, some of us believe people have the right to do things that are legal but we don't agree with. Your (typical) contribution to the discussion has been to throw in gratuitous non-sequiturs about Republicans and George Bush.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #219
schizuki
Founding Member

"(My wife) says my hatred for W is irrational. I agree with her. "

Holy sh!t. What is an intelligent woman doing with you? I give this marriage four more years, tiops.

"To be honest he just reminds me of all the guys I hated in college: Never did any physical work in his life, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, used his daddy's influence to get by, while most of us had to work summer and part-time jobs to make it through school he partied. Life is not fair.... The guy who slides by becomes president and fracks up everthing the guy before him, who did know physical work and didn't slide by, did..."

Ah, so the root of liberal politics is jealousy. That's what I thought.

Me, I grew up poor and I'm just making ends meet now. Some guys got breaks. BFD. It's got nothing to do with me. My fate is my own, I don't worry about who's got more. The day I was born in this country, I was already richer than 90% of the people on Earth, so why should I envy someone who's richer than 95%?

BTW, you must REALLY hate John Kerry. Same education, and FAR more loaded than George. How many homes is he up to now?

Old 07-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #220
schizuki
Founding Member

"I happen to agree with you. Schools aren't very liberal at all and the higher you climb (grad school) the worse it gets."

It's cute how you change the definition of "liberal" to suit your point. In this case, you're using it in the non-political sense. But surely you don't dispute the fact that college campuses are overwhelmingly "liberal" in the political sense. Thus, you have admitted that liberals are illiberal, and have negated your original post. Well done.