Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #201
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Wrong...

"We'll enjoy missing out on 100% of wildfires"

As an ex-forest fighter (6 seasons with the BLM) have to say you have your facts wrong. Red States (banjo music) Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, AZ, Utah, all have almost as many fires as California. The ones in CA just endanger more people and property, thus get more press.. Also they have to be fought more agressively. All of the really great fire incident comanders/bosses I knew had California experience. My district in Western Colorado alone had 100+ fires a season. Total acerage Red-State Alaska by far is the leader

Most mosquitos? Check out Alaska? Spent some time on a fire up there..

Oh yeah. Almost forgot John Kerry was a hero, still is....
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #202
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

Yes. Does the state own the business? No. The propieter does. It's his money.

Who the heck are you, or, who is the state, to be able to tell him who he can or can't fire, and for what reason?

Why should a man who's racist be forced to hire someone of the race he hates?

What power should the state have here?

it's assinine.

It's his business.

You blue staters should take a long look at cuba... and maybe consider moving there.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:44 PM   #203
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I work mostly from home now...

You're lucky if I'm wearing pants!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:47 PM   #204
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Oxymoron

Wanna bet:

Military Inteligence
Old 07-29-2005, 06:58 PM   #205
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Gee, thanks

Really, just not a mental image I needed.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #206
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Good Point

While the Red v. Blue is quite entertaining, I have to agree with ncelik.

i.e. Ditto

PS: Kazaa 'Red v. Blue', very funny, but not bike-related so won't go in to.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #207
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, that was definitely clear as mud

I'll respond ...

<blockquote>Once again you've reinforced the fact that you are more close-minded than any of your targets.</blockquote>

LOL. I sure as hell wouldn't fire a competent mechanic for what bike he rides to work, so that automatically makes me more open-minded than the owner in the story.

<blockquote>Conservatism and liberalism[snip]</blockquote>

Long before those two words became politically charged, they were simply philosophies being bandied about in the 1700s. If you liked change, considered it good and necessary, allowed for it, etc. ... you were a liberal. If you liked things to remain the same, were afraid of change and saw it as something to avoid ... you were a conservative. Hence the word 'conserve'. If you aren't open to alternatives, you are conservative in your outlook ... and that owner certainly wasn't 'open' to his mechanic riding a Harley to work ... was he?

<blockquote>You also have very little grasp of the competitive marketplace.</blockquote>

Really? You know that after two posts?

Brands do mean something and no dealer can get by without doing a bit of brand promotion. Brands can't be the be all and end all, though. Dealerships lose the rights to brands all the time. Contracts end and aren't renewed. Brands go under. Brands move their manufacturing to Upper Slobovia and start making crap bikes. Competitors show up selling the same brand. These types of changes are all but inevitable and to build your business so heavily around a select group of brands that you cannot adapt when those changes occur means you aren't a very forward thinking businessman. Good businesses plan for change because change is inevitable. Bad businesses stick to their personal mantra long after it has become obvious that change is necessary.

<blockquote>What you're saying is that anyone that YOU deem to be a conservative is crooked and stupid.</blockquote>

Boiled down, I said that conservative thinking is what caused the owner to fire the mechanic for riding the Harley and that conservative thinking, carried to extremes, can lead to situations like you see in the dealership my friend works for. If you take any mindset (including a liberal mindset) and apply it all the time to every situation or if you apply it too zealously ... you will make decisions that will come back to haunt you.

A liberal thinking dealer might be too brand agnostic, for example. What bike should I buy? Well ... there's this one and this one and this one and this one, etc. Pretty soon, the customer is overwhelmed and walks out because they want hard facts and are getting the mealy-mouthed 'all bikes are good' answer. I've seen this, too.

The situation dictates what mindset is successful and that means that neither liberal or conservative thinking are ever truly right or wrong. There is only 'right in this situation' or 'wrong in this situation'.

<blockquote>take a long look in the mirror blahblahblahblah</blockquote>

I'm a liberal thinker and because of that, I respect your right to disagree and your right to your own opinion. Somehow, I don't get the feeling that I get the same courtesy in return ...

m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #208
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Are you that self unaware?

Now ... THAT was funny.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #209
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: I think he has something here

Now, I can understand why, after 6 years as President, Dubya hasn't employed a single Dem in his administration and fires/belittles/attacks anyone who disagrees with him using his pet dog Rove.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 PM   #210
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy a Harley and Lose Your Job

LOL. I've been on three. Happened to get degrees in all three schools, too.

I happen to agree with you. Schools aren't very liberal at all and the higher you climb (grad school) the worse it gets.