Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
yoavy11
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda More American That Harley?

I know from a decent source, that it's a true fact regarding the GoldWing having more American-made parts in it then any HD. I don't think the same is true about the CBR1000RR.

1st post?
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
drthompson65
Founding Member

Wouldn't shock me..Latest rant on the stockmarket web sites is that Harley is on the slide down.. you can't keep producing 400,000 units a year of crap.. Sooner or later people will notice..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:38 AM   #3
IceWorm
Registered Member

"Honda More American That Harley?"

Me thinks MO needs more money to hire a proof reader.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
RosevilleRod
Registered Member

I've been to the Honda plant in Marysville, Ohio for their Honda Homecoming last year. They were celebrating the 25th anniversary of thier manufacturing motorcycles and cars in Ohio! Granted, it ain't Milwaukee, but the beer that made Milwaukee famous was bought out by Miller. And it's just not as good as Yuengling (America's oldest brewery (and best!!)) anyway.

At the Marysville plant they make all of the Goldwings, VTX's, ATV's and some of those 4 wheeled cages.
RosevilleRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:41 AM   #5
wayback
Founding Member

Funny how you and I can go into a H-D dealership and look at all the official H-D chrome dodads on the wall for "accessorizing" your "American" bike and all the packaging says "Made in Taiwan-China-S. Korea-etc.", but H-D people seem to be oblivious to it. Same with the parts that go into the bike at the factory. There's no such thing as an "American made" vehicle anymore, and lets not get into the fact that all these "only good ones are made in America" people have TV's, cameras, cell phones, radios, computers, and a thousand other things that aren't made in America and haven't been for a long time. When it's built in an American factory, by American workers, with American wages (and taxes), that's about as American as it gets. All you H-D pretenders should just get over it.

Oh yeah, it seems to me I saw the figures somewhere that said the percentage of American made parts is higher in a Victory than in a H-D, so I guess the real Made in America title should belong to them anyway.

OK, end of rant. One thing though -- since H-D forced their dealers to build all those multi-million dollar motorcycle sales facilities (mostly to sell the clothes and accessories not the bikes), what do you suppose will happen to the dealer network when sales decline enough to make paying the mortgage a little difficult?
wayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:05 AM   #6
Fenton
Founding Member

Denial.

"Me an my 500,000 bros will kick your butt you come talkin' that smack round here.

We'll kick it just to prove there ain't no jap parts on our bikes. Saab is a FI company in Kentukee."

Anyone want a shirt that read: "Your Harley cost an American a job!"
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
tomk2
Founding Member

Milwaukee, Wis. (July 13, 2005) - Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HDI) today announced record earnings per share (EPS) of 84 cents for the quarter ended June 26, 2005 compared to 83 cents for the year ago quarter. Revenue for the quarter was $1.333 billion compared with $1.328 billion in the year ago quarter, a 0.4 percent increase. Net income for the quarter was $237.4 million, slightly lower than last yearÂ’s $247.2 million. During the second quarter, the Company repurchased 17.7 million shares of its common stock, in addition to the 2.9 million shares repurchased during the first quarter of this year.

"Harley-Davidson had a successful second quarter," said Jim Ziemer, Chief Executive Officer, Harley-Davidson, Inc. "The Company produced record revenue despite lower motorcycle shipments compared to the year ago quarter. We shipped 77,000 motorcycles to our dealers as planned, while retail sales of Harley-Davidson® motorcycles grew to record levels of 114,000 units, up nearly 6 percent compared to the same period last year. In addition, we increased our stock repurchase investment to over $1 billion year-to-date. Earnings per share were at an all-time high for any quarter in our history," said Ziemer.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
kanani
Registered Member

HENRY WEINHARD'S is america's best brew. Of course being made in the North West they can't get it in Marysville
kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They just can't stand that Harley is beating the ***** out of their Japanese counterparts, can they? It hasn't ended yet, and it's been one hellava run.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
oleland
Registered Member

If the truth is to be heard ,this is the place to get it.