Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Somnus
Founding Member

Default Re: The Riders Were or Were Not Wearing Helmets

Given a certain outcome, info on whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet gives the reader some indication of the violence of the crash. A knowledgeable reader might inquire about other gear, such as the appropriate armored boots, etc.

Macabre, yes.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
zarn02
Founding Member

for the same reasons, i'd guess, that they frequently mention whether or not a motorist was wearing their seatbelt.

usually, whether or not it made any difference isn't addressed.

*shrugs*
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
cptaebphd
Founding Member

To the non-riding public, seemingly the only issue relevant to motorcyclists is whether they must be forced to wear helmets. Journalists are just helping the public and lawmakers keep score before the next round of helmet laws are debated.

You weren't suggesting that journalists covering motorcycle accidents actually think were you?
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The general public believes that if the rider wasn't wearing a helmet, then he deserved his fate, regardless of fault. If he WAS wearing a helmet, well then he just kind of deserved it. Wearing a helmet in my state is optional, so it should make zero difference if there was one worn or not, but the same thing gets reported here. It's just like when they raid houses for drugs. The news always mentions if there were guns found. They never say if the guns were legally owned, but it makes the perp apper guilty to the general public. If they DO find drugs, they ALWAYS show the guns sitting next to them. Subtle, but effective mind shaping.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The only difference, is that it is illegal not to wear your seatbelt in any state in the country. There are many states that do not have helmet laws, and therefore the accident victim was not breaking any law by not wearing one. So to mention it is as useless as saying he didn't have a jacket or boots on.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:21 AM   #6
SRMark
Founding Member

The same goes for car accidents and robberies. Seems someone wasn't wearing his seatbelt or that a black, hispanic, etc. did the dirty deed. Reporters are taught to get some sort of detail and those are easy details to get.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #7
Thig
Founding Member

I will probably be proved wrong, but my opinion is that the single most important factor whether or not you survive a crash on a motorcycle is wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet;however, I still think it should be the drivers option.

Just the same, most newpaper articles around here always mention if car accident victims were wearing a seat belt or not.
Thig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:24 AM   #8
Captain_1
Founding Member

How true... Usually more than one firearm and box of ammo is described as an arsenal.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:19 AM   #9
sidiyahia
Registered Member

The only "interest they are serving" in reporting helmet use is an interest in giving readers basic, relevant information about accidents. As other posters pointed out, accident stories about cars usually report seat belt use. Most accident stories include information about alcohol or drug use, if that was a factor.

Sorry, but there's no conspiracy.

(Full disclosure: I've been involved in newspaper journalism as a reporter, editor or educator for 35 years, and riding motorcycles since 1958.)
sidiyahia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 AM   #10
pfyoung
Founding Member

I don't feel like the reporters have any agenda, that's simply the question most viewers would ask; just like others mentioned, it's just like the question of "were they wearing their seatbelts?" or "were they drinking?"...
pfyoung is offline   Reply With Quote