Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #21
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: The Riders Were or Were Not Wearing Helmets

I really get laugh out of the cops showing three of four guns and using the word arsenal. I guess it was a good thing that they never raided our house when I was a kid. My dad used to recondition WW2 rifles as part of his gunsmithing business, and we usually had five to ten thousand of them stacked in crates in the garage of our suburban So. Cal home. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #22
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

It's the same logic that kinda suggests that a woman "had it coming." if she was dressed provacatively or some guy went to an ATM late at night. These are probably not smart moves, but I'm not really helping lead some poor disadvanted kid down the wrong road if I leave the car running while I buy a newspaper. He don't have to steal the damn car, but you can bet your ass it'll be mentioned in the report, and the insurance company may even decide they don't have to replace my car because I was so reckless. It's the world we live in, man.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #23
Tenspace
Founding Member

It's information, and useful; I think they're just stating a fact. It doesn't seem to be derogatory in the context of the articles.

Odd that in the examples selected, the only fatality was the helmeted rider.

Tenspace
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #24
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Helmeted riders fare better in statistics, but does wearing a helmet mean you are less likely to be involved in a crash simply because you wear one, or is it because those who chose to wear a helmet riders are a safer type of rider?

Cause vs correlation.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #25
lwatcdr
Founding Member

So riding a motorcycle is the same as using drugs? That will win friends and influence people.

Most of the drug raids I hear about on the news do not tend to be some guy with two joints with a shotgun for duck hunting.

To put a positive spin on why the cover it. Maybe it is just education. Just like reporting that the people in car accident where wearing or not wearing a seatbelt.

It is hard to believe but there are people out there that think wearing a helmet is dangerous! The news my just be making the point that if you wear your seatbelt and or helmet you are less likely to die.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote