Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-14-2005, 09:33 AM   #31
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Biker found guilty in 150-mph chase

Things are always relative. Around here, that's almost three times the speed limit on most highways. Being from Northern CA, 85-90 isn't a problem (as long as you are going with traffic, that is) and a significant number of people do. Up here is AK, I'm happy when I get to 75, and am scanning for cops the whole time since they love to pull over anything 6+ over legal.

So... To you 150 might be nothing, 55 to the grandma I'm trying to pass seems to be scary, and nothing I currently own will go much better than 90, however a plane I can rent can cruse 200kts.

Relatively speaking, of course.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #32
johnnyb
Founding Member

prolly seemed pretty quack as i assume he was lane-splitting...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm glad I don't speed. Or is it, I'm glad I don't get caught?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #34
Tigercub
Founding Member

My Triumph was like that. I couldn't believe they'd sell a bike that the only way you could see behind you in the mirror was by shifting your whole body over.

I ended up buying a length of 1/2" solid aluminum rod, cutting threads on one end, bending it 90 degrees and putting a rivet at the other end where it attaches to the handlebar. They look kinda of funny, but now I can see directly behind me and there is only a little more blurr due to mirror vibration on the longer stock. I don't know what else you can do - it's really dangerous not being able to see behind you. Of course, if you are always going faster than everyone, it's not so much a problem, I guess.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #35
Tigercub
Founding Member

I should loan him my bike - it won't go 150mph.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #36
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Poor bastard. I feel for the dude. I was in Glendale when this happened. 5 or six copters, oinkers everywhere. They even eyeballed me on the old K Zed. Too tough.

30 years ago, if the Glendale/LA cops would have caught him, they would have just beaten his ass and let him go, which might be better than doing time if you think about it.

Ahh, I long for the old order. Catch and release. But beat soundly before releasing.

Also shows you that you CAN outrun a Motorola sometimes, given the right circumstances. Rat on bro! In CIM you'll have something to talk about with your homies.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #37
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Careful longride. I was boasting about constantly running at 80-85 for years not even two weeks prior to my bust. I glad I don't have your 'busa (no, that's a lie). I would probably have gone directly to jail that night if I did. Try to keep her under one fi'ty.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #38
scfrank
Founding Member

Actually there is a line of thought that we should not punish non damaging behavior. He didn't really cause any damage, i'm not saying his actions were responsible or not dangerous, just that they don't always result in damage.

What follows is if you do cause damage to yourself or especially others, then the punishment is very harsh.

A car magazine one proposed that we should not ticket speeders, but if someone causes an accident, the fine is $ 10,000 or substantial jail time, first offense. Punish the damaging actions, not the behavior.

This guy did not hurt anyone, but will suffer more punishment that the Dakota congressman that killed someone !

SCFRANK
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #39
bmwdude
Founding Member

OK, I have information to post that relates indirectly to the top thread.

After all this talk about speeding. On my way home this evening; Do I even need to say it?

74 in a 65.

The officer, I must admit was polite and professional.

I think he may have even cut me a little slack with his estimate of my speed? I can't be sure because I let my attention drift. Which is how I got here to begin with!!!

bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #40
bmwdude
Founding Member

I worry about this too. Every time something like this makes it into the news. Some crusader will decide it's time for a new law!
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote