Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 AM   #11
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Cell Phones Overburden Cagers' Tiny Brains

Just flew in my bosses Beech Bonanza the other day. No, wasn't kissing up. We had an office charity raffle and for once I won.

Interesting analogy, but seems a bit apples & oranges to me.

Comprehensive checklists, audio alarm backups, GPS, radars, on and on.

I'd never flown up ft with an IR rated pilot with current gen avionics prior to this little delight. Before I'd have considered pilots and riders to have a lot in common. Er, I'm not so convinced now. While there are plenty of dumb pilots, methinks that the cost of entry, complexity, continuing education requirements, etc., screens out a bit more of the goofballs than learning to ride a bike does.

Your analogy might be accurate for a Visual Flight Rules aircraft. I resisted calling them VFR's.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 AM   #12
gr8shandini
Registered Member

I also have to disagree. The human brain just wasn't built for the type of "multi-tasking" that we're asking of it. If your plane is properly trimmed up, you can let go of the controls completely for at least 30 seconds while digging for a chart, changing a freq, etc. Flight instructors also teach people how to "mulit-task" by essentially telling them not to do it. Aviate, navigate, communicate - in that order.

In a car (or bike), things happen a whole lot faster and constant attention is required just to handle the equivalent of the aviate and navigate parts. The curious part of the whole situation, however, is the question of why it's easier to tune out folks who are actually in the car with you when a situation gets dicey, but you're likely to rear end a car in front of you at a red light while paying perfect attention to whoever you have on the line.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:56 AM   #13
pkbrown
Registered Member

Here's another
another report from a few weeks ago.
pkbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:22 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Brain scans, eh? Next you know they'll be feeling the bumps on people's heads.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:27 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

"Hi, what are you doing?"

"driving to work, what are you doing?"

"Driving to work, you should see these people, they can't drive for s**t"

"Same here, Where'd they get their licenses? Oh S**t Now I spilled my coffee 'cause that guy in the truck made my lane stop"

"I hate that, why don't they just pay attention"

"I know, they're not even watching, well see you at lunch"

"ok see ya"

Multiply that by the number of cars you see and it pretty well covers 'em longride, one more reason to ride instead of drive.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:32 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

Yeah, but loud pipes save lives and not wearing a helmet or only wearing a beanie allows you to see and hear better, plus thick leather jackets cost more at the dry cleaners every week.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:40 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

Looks like we'll need to stock up on tinfoil, I don't want the CIA reading my brainwaves.

If they want to know what I'm doing they can use the metal strips in my money to track me like they do everyone else.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 AM   #18
ebass
Founding Member

Default EBass' informal study

I can say from personal experience on the SoCal freeways that 90% of the time when someone does something totally jacked up to me, I've reached into my "special pocket", extracted the "attention getter" ball bearing I retain for just such occasions, and have my arm fully ****ed, I look into the driver's side window to see a middle aged soccer mom on a celly, and just can't muster the sang froid necessary to let fly. Which sucks.

But someday I'm gonna do a "Falling Down" freak out, and when I do I'm aimig straight for the Nokia!

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #19
wfowade
Founding Member

I agree-fly a Pitts on a 400 nm cross country VFR flight with flight following and you will learn to multi-task-or you get even better at recovery from loss of control. You might be able to release the controls of a Cessna 210 for 30 seconds but don't try that with an aircraft without positive dynamic stability.

Motorcycles are similar-you must multi-task to ride the darn thing. Though talking may not be part of equation, most of us use our ears & ass as much as our eyes on the tach to judge shift points.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 AM   #20
lefty337
Founding Member

I know I'm the minority here, but I think cell phones are fine. This is only true if the driver isn't already an idiot though. A cell phone isn't much different from talking to the person next to you.

Aside from dialing, I don't see much of a problem with just the cell phone. It's always the people who are trying to talk, write a phone number, looking for street signs and doing countless other things while they drive. People forget that driving is the main thing they are supposed to be doing.
lefty337 is offline   Reply With Quote