Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #21
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Where Will It End?

I desparately want the helmet law here is California to continue. I love looking at those idiots in the porridge pots trying to look tough.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #22
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Where Will It End?

I desparately want the helmet law here is California to continue. I love looking at those idiots in the porridge pots trying to look tough.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #23
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: The end of so-called ''freedom''?

"Riding is a priviledge not a right." I hear some variation of this all the time. Who says so? Who is the arbiter of what is a privelege and what is a right? Not you, I hope.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I see more brain-dead, Starbucks-drinking, cell phone-using, SUV-driving morons daily to make me conclude that going "out there" without protective gear is just too big a risk"

Then you should wear a helmet and refrain from telling someone else what to do.

"As my duaghter (16 yrs old) said as we rode through Daytona and saw the helmetless folks - "Must have nothing worth protecting, eh?" "

Actually you should tell your daughter that they are doing what they like, and if they REALLY wanted to protect their head, they would be in a 5 star crash rated SUV.

"To the AMA: getting behind this helmet repeal effort is one reason why I refuse to join!

Then that just makes you part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #25
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Wow, a helmet thread with so few posts?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #26
epinkert
Founding Member

I can't believe that there are so many pro-helmet-law people here. It's a useless law! How many foolios do you see wearing brain buckets/skull caps with DOT stickers slapped on the back of them? What about the folks who ride with their helmet sitting on top of their heads like they're hats? I see these far more often in states where helmets are mandated.</p>

These are people who just don't care about the spirit of the law -- it shows that they wouldn't wear a helmet if they didn't have to, and the half-measures that they do use are juse as useless as not having a helmet in the first place.</p>

I'm sure that some of the pro-law/anti-freedom people will argue for stricter enforcement of the helmet laws to put those people down. However, the point has been repeatedly made that if we really cared about safety legislature for our own good, motorcycle riding should be altogether outlawed. Think about it -- if you're for seatbelt legislation...there is no real motorcycle seatbelt. In a wreck, aren't you pretty much hosed on a bike? Maybe my sports car should be outlawed, because it's not as crashworthy as a station wagon, minivan, or SUV. FWIW, far-left eco freaks want to ban these larger vehicles too becuase they're heavy, blocky, and guzzle gas.</p>

So the moral of the story is that someone else always thinks that they know what's best for you. Everyone here has seen or heard someone try to pass some laws that are 'for your own good' and I'm sure that there have been at least a few of them that we've all rolled your eyes at. We need to do away with this kind of legislation. IMO, as we pile these laws on, and the right to be a dumb@$$ wanes, personal responsibility wanes with it. People have already stopped thinking for themselves with the idea that if there's no law against it, it must be OK. This is just dangerous thinking and things like helmet and seatbelt laws are totally symptomatic of this logic. IMO, no freakin' way.</p>

FWIW, I wear a full face helmet with as much safety gear as I can pile on every time I get on a bike -- I wear a seatbelt every time I get in the car, regardless of the law. I am not an eliteist, and I don't think that I'm better than anyone else because of it.</p>
epinkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #27
nokneedragin
Founding Member

"Then that just makes you part of the problem instead of part of the solution."

An ifin your not wid us....yourin agin us!!!!!
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #28
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I think all righst are called out in the bill of rights in the U.S. fracking Constitution. Just a thought ofreen..
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #29
ofreen
Registered Member

Read the ninth amendment.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote