Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 06-16-2005, 01:55 AM   #11
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: Baiting Crooks Into Stealing Bikes

I think it would be great if the theives were wise on the plot and while wearing ski masks the entire time they let the police find vidoes of them putting a brick on the accelerator at the top of a large cliff...
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #12
dogcatfud
Registered Member

This reminded me something I read a while back on a sport-touring forum.

A guy returned to his motorcycle and started to rummage through his pockets for the key. Then he noticed a small piece of paper carefully folded and tucked underneath his handlebars. It stated: "You left your key in the ignition. I placed it in your left saddlebag. Signed, A fellow BMW rider"

I used to always hit the kill switch to shut off the engine per MSF instruction. But now I use the key and pull it out immediately afterwards like I do with a car.
dogcatfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 AM   #13
chingbaby
Registered Member

A buddy of mine who used to wrench for the well know biker gang in Montreal once rigged a shotgun shell full of rock salt to go off when the revs passed 3000rpm. Since it was an HD, 3000 rpm wouldn't normally be reached until the bike was moving with someone on it. The shell would be nestled at the base of the split tank aimed at the riders crotch. Hope the actual owner never forgot to disarm it....
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
gforces
Founding Member

I was taught to use the kill switch in MSF too, but my buddy's manual (Honda 599) says to not use the kill switch in regular use--and use the key. I don't know what BMW suggests to do.

Apparently, the kill switch is only to be used under certain circumstances when reaching for the key would be dangerous.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #15
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I find it interesting that there is not one single person writing in thinking this is "entrapment" or something. People take getting their motorcycle stolen real personal.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
sqidbait
Founding Member

That's because it's not entrapment. "Bait cars" look like any other car on the street. There are no signs saying "Steal me!" on the roof.

When MrCarThief is out on the prowl, he has no idea whether the car he is scoping out is a bait car or not. And that's kind of the point, and the reason for the PR blitz.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #17
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Between not being able to start my bike because the kill switch is in the O-F-F position and forgetting my key, I will always use the key to turn it off.

BTW, the DL 6fiddy has this cool "feature" where you turn the key one notch past off, remove the key, and the back brake light comes on and kills the battery over time. Yet another way for me to screw up turning my bike off....
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
turbowrx666
Founding Member

Best way!! Get a shiny new ZX10R with powercommander and Akropovic exhaust, dymag wheels, high comrpession head gasket, ohlins suspension, lightweight carbon fibre parts... you get the idea a fast bike

Leave the key in it, leave fuel in it ... walk away

ooops I guess I disconnected the front brakes

turbowrx666 is offline   Reply With Quote