Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: New Bill in Califonia's Senate

I am not in favor of new laws, including this one. It's already illegal to run over someone with a vehicle. Why this?

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I'm inclined to agree with SBP on this one. Why would new laws make any difference when the old laws are already ignored by many motorists? A 250 dollar fine, and a couple of points on one's driving record are a joke when compared to the injuries incurred by the victim in a car vs motorcycle collision. Injured partys already have redress through civil tort actions.

More laws are not generally the answer for all of society's ills. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Generally I'd agree with the above. But these offensives currently only count as reckless driving which is a cheap (relative) fine and one point against your license in CA. This would at least make it stiffer, if not by much.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

I'm not sure this law will solve anything.

If we want the general driving public to be better more aware drivers as far as motorcycles are concerned then we need to;

a. Improve the level of training needed for a driving licence over the laughable joke that is required now.

b. Make motorcycle specific amendments to existing laws; If you make an illegal turn in front of a car the fine is $100, if you do it in front of a motorcycle it's $1000! Hitting people in thier pocketbooks always makes them pay more attention.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

In Idaho a stiff fine is applied with a 14" length of iron pile upside the head. Does an outstanding job of encouraging attentive driving.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
pattonme
Founding Member

Default make it 500/1000

with 3x that for hitting a "vulnerable road user" ie. pedestrian, motorcyclist, and bicyclist provided the latter wasn't doing something illegal like jay-walking in the middle of the block or running red lights (eg. bike messengers).
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: make it 500/1000

Japan recently enacted a $3000 automatic fine for a DUI. oh and a $5000 death clause. A resulting death should lead to charges of vehicular manslaughter or negligent homicide. American society is entirely too cavalier about the 40,000+/yr murders that occur on our roads. Vietnam's bloodiest year was 11,000 dead as I recall.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Well, I don't want to debate the broader issue of "no new laws," but to answer your question of "Why this [law]"...

This law deals specifically with right-of-way violations. Right-of-way violations can have more onerous consequences for the victim. This law would make the consequences more onerous for the perpetrator, too.

Let's just consider the case of Bill Janklow and Randolph Scott. That case was "easier" because that idiot Janklow was traveling 70 mph when he ran the stop sign and killed Scott.

But what if Janklow had been traveling 15 mph when he ran the stop sign? And what if Randy Scott had only suffered a broken collar bone as a result?

Under existing law, Janklow might get a $50 fine. Under the new law, he would get a higher fine plus two points on his license.

The idea is to specifically discourage right-of-way violations. Considering that motorcyclist are more vulnerable to such violations, is the new law such a bad idea?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Let me get this straight...

You're "not sure" the proposed legislation will solve anything, but you are sure your seat-of-the-pants plan will? You said "we need to...", as if this is the only solution that will work.

You're opposed to a law that will be enforceable and has the support of the public at large, law enforcement, and motorcycle advocacy groups, but you are in favor of expensive, unpopular, impossible-to-implement programs like mandatory additional training for motorists or complex laws that will have to be worded like hate-crime legislation to be enforced?

I don't mean to sound catty, but these guys at ABATE and the AMA have been spending many, many hours researching and advocating for laws to make our lives a little better and safer and their efforts get dismissed with no research in a very off-the-cuff, knee-jerk kind of way.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I don't mean to wax pedantic here, lest someone may call me a lawyer again, but we already have criminal negligence laws on the books. I understand where those of you that favor this law are coming from, but it would seem that the standardization of such minimal punishment for actions that seriously injure, and often maim others does not further the goal of deterring the perpetrators of these acts. We would be better served if District Attorneys brought charges against the perpetrators of these violations, and prosecuted these cases with the threat of severe penalties for those who negligently harm others. Once the public a large came to understand that there would be SERIOUS ramifications for negligence you would see a drop off in these kind of occurrences.

This would necessitate some political will on the part of those wishing to change the public sentiment to a degree that will cause prosecutors to get off of their collective asses, but the efforts of those pushing for the passage of this Bill would be better spent doing that than supporting a fairly meaningless feel good Bill that would likely have minimal effect on our desired goal. VWW

BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote