Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-13-2005, 03:29 AM   #21
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default too much coffee?

"Ooooh! don't fine me $250 whole dollars for turning a biker into a quadraplegic, puhleeze."

Sounds pretty worthless to me.

Driving licenses ARE NOT a right of passage like they pretty much are now, they should be earned. Want drivers to look out for bikes? Train 'em to do it, punish the hell out of them when they don't.

ABATE...pfft! This is the same organisation that demanded here in GA that not only should the helmet law be repealed, but that bikers shouldn't have to wear protective eyewear either.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2005, 03:44 AM   #22
gr8shandini
Registered Member

Default Re: New Bill in Califonia's Senate

So why does it have to result in bodily injury? In that case, you or your insurance company are going to pay anywhere from tens of thousands to millions of dollars. One more C-note means absolutely nothing except more money for the state.

How 'bout fining people for unsafe passing (weaving), right of way violations, left lane cruising (causing others to weave), and the like whether anyone gets hurt or not?
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:13 AM   #23
iamz
Founding Member

Default This law will change nothing.

If anyone thinks this law will keep cars from turning in front of or pulling out in front of motorcyclists, your badly mistaken.

What a joke.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:35 AM   #24
Iman01
Founding Member

I don't know anything about Kalifornia's point system.

I like the idea of taking licenses away from bad drivers when they do anything that hurts anyone else. And I think a one weekend class, paying a fine and more expensive insurance is not enough to earn it back.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #25
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Minimal punishment indeed, if I get caught doing 100 on my bike on some backroad I could easily suffer the same consequence as the proposed law provides when a motorist smokes a bike in an intersection (had some lady threaten to pull out in front of me just the other day, in the rain no less, I almost had a heart attack.)

We don't really need more laws, we just need negligence to be prosecuted at a level commensurate with the level of injury inflicted. Only in extreme cases (sudden incapacitation due to a seizure or some other medical condition, etc.) should it be chalked up as just an "accident".
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"And the people clamored for new laws, and soon there were many"

The basic elements of fairness in lawmaking that keep federal, state and local governments from acting arbitrarily are quickly being whittled away.

This authoritarian impulse is justified, as always, through fear. The more fearful we Americans are, the more we are willing to give our officials a blank check. And those in power always feel perfectly entitled to it. Blaming their critics for failing to recognize the seriousness of the situation or for being soft on crime.

This new law is just another excuse to undermine the rights of many to punish a few wrongdoers, however lightly. Another side effect of too many people.

Kalifornia Uberallis!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Stiff Encouragment

I usually get a ticket for littering when I park my old KZ750 on a nice street.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #28
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Ok I am going to go against the popular tide and say I like this law. However, I wish the penalties were stiffer. BMW4VWW has pointed out that there is civil ligation that can be persued. However, Steven made the point that it is very hard to collect civil penalities. Speaking from experience I totally agree. The OJ Simpson case is a great example of this. Only the responsible smucks you and me (that have jobs and can't move to Florida), tend to pay civil penalties. I think suspension of license and some time in jail if you kill "accidently" someone is a more effective penalty than fines and points... So therefore I support this new law as a start... I fully appreciate the views of those like sportbike_pilot that don't want new laws. I would say what maybe we need replacement laws and penalties for ineffective laws...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Laws on ineffective laws. Now there's a novel idea.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #30
Tigercub
Founding Member

$250 fine and 2 points on your driving record. Now there's a law with some teeth in it!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote