Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: New Bill in Califonia's Senate

Yes it is. Right of way violations are already subject to being cited. Furthermore you are subject to civil action (which in California has a relatively high chance of success). Making things "easier" for police and prosecutors is not my desire nor is it among most of those who share a libertarian view of the world.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Thank you.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
Steven_Verschoor
Founding Member

You're right that civil actions are available. And those will be available whether this bill passes or not. But they are an entirely different arena. As a side note, I hear it's very difficult to collect on a civil case.

But to get to the crux of your objection (I think), how does this bill make things "easier" for police and prosecutors?... "Easier" to do what?

I understand your philosophical objection, but do you have any specifics?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #14
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Stiff Encouragment

I like the sounds of that even better!

Wonder if we can implement something like that up here in Anchorage... maybe you get fed to the bears.

Would probably end up paying the 'Feeding Wildlife' fine though.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
Hutchinator
Founding Member

I'd agree that prosecution would be the preferred method, and that overall, this bill is a token effort. (Very similar to several motorcycle rules that my command, PACAF, has enacted; but that's off topic.) I just won't hold my breath. Real changes take a real long time.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Can't argue about this one. Law Enforcement already has plenty of tools to deal with this.

Motorists get away with killing bikers because the courts and jury's buy the "I didn't see him" excuse. Add the fact that most people think that riding a motorcycle is "asking for it" I don't think that any new law is going to make any difference.

Why the new law? Because Calif has a full time legislature and they've got to keep busy somehow, right?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:41 AM   #17
edward44
Founding Member

What's an extra $100 Bush dollars for great bodily harm? Nothing. And the points as well. A law suit with a large civil judgement on the other hand would mean a lot more. Having had some (bad) experience in this matter maybe a camera in the fairing activated by sudden deacceleration would be useful.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I've always held the belief that if you want to kill somone, don't shoot them, just run them over with a car. Claim it was an "accident" and take the $250 fine and the 2 points.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:36 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Effin' lawyer!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:40 AM   #20
christian_gates
Founding Member

I'm super pro-motorcyclist, but this law is just dumb. There are already so many traffic laws that are arbitrary and bizarre that you are almost definitionally committing a crime every time you step behind the wheel - why tangle things up even further?

Further, the penalties described sound trivial.

I don't like it, not one bit. SBP is on the money here.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote