Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Football player crashes, helmet in orbit

No disrespect, but why do you think insurance rates go down dramatically for people that are married, have kids, and are over 25? In Illinois, insurance companies won't even insure sportbikes for young guys here. It's not only what you have to lose, it's the probability of losing it. Scenario: 21 years old, no motorcycle riding experience, liter sportbike, invincible attitude. Chance of biting it hard? My guess is 50/50. Maybe higher. Not worth the chance. My advise is stay away from them until you grow up and smarten up. Just my opinion.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #62
Fenton
Founding Member

I agree. I finally called Progressive for a quote. 38, no tickets, married, kids, 6000 mi./year for recreation. They wanted $2800/year for a ZRX & Futura.

The sales person informed me that I lived in an area with a dense (not slow witted) population. Napa, a city of 70k is not a metropolis. I can't imagine how these 20 year olds can afford to ride a bike that cost more to insure than the payments.

I just got a quote for an '05 R1200GS this morning $788/year(Formost ins.). And that is full, everything coverage. So I guess progresive has found out Calif. is not the place to make a profit on your $500 deductible.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #63
Nplateau
Founding Member

Of course anyone can and will make mistakes, but the point is that the more powerful the bike, and the less experienced the rider, the chances of injury are that much greater. What was your friend doing going 130 on a bike? That points to his lack of discretion. The SV is a great bike, but I'm wondering if he had a liter-bike or for that matter a 600 supersport, would he have wiped out at 160 mph instead? The SV is absolutely a better choice for a newbie because it is a more forgiving bike. Just about every standard to sport type motorcycle has a higher performance envelope than 99% of the people that ride them. But the Sv650 putting down 60-65 hp through a loping twin cylinder engine will be easier to manage for the new rider than the 100+ horsepower supersports and superbikes that will tear your arms out of your sockets in the upper rev range.

I'm a freedom kind of guy, and for the most part I believe that it is each to his own. However, I'm beginning to favor a graduated license program like they use in the UK. It will save lives and make for more skilled motorcyclists.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #64
pplassm
Founding Member

I was actually paid not to ride at one time.

I did anyway. Gross lack of judgement, eh?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #65
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

George, if you lined up all of the dumb things I ever did that should have gotten me either dead or really poor you would't be able to see to the end of it with the Hubble Telescope.

I am a big believer in hard work, intellegence and determination and all of that stuff, but luck, good or bad, sometimes trumps all.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #66
pdad13
Founding Member

So true, Buz. I keep asking myself how Kellen Sr., who always appeared to have more than a clue, could have raised this mental-midget.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #67
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You'll notice he attended the University of Miami which isn't exactly Harvard when it comes to academic standards for its athletes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #68
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Better to be lucky than good. That seems too have been the unintended mantra of my life so far.

Van
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #69
smackd2k
Founding Member

Thus proving professional athletes are nothing more than meatheads and toolbags. Hope his career is ok.... NOT! HAHAHAHAHA!
smackd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #70
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

So true Buzglyd. My daughter and I visited the school, Miami, before she decided she wanted to go to school elsewhere. I got the feeling that the athletes had much different rules to live by then the rest of the students... To my relief she picked a school that doesn't have a football team only soccer, basketball, and baseball and is in some lower division of the NCAA i.e. has real student athletes.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote