Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Football player crashes, helmet in orbit

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at first. But with more details you only gotta shake your head at what a monumental fool this guy is. Violating his contract! It's likely that he has now completely sabotaged his own football career. Way to go!

Instead of retiring from football after a few years a multimillionaire this moron may just end his days as a burger flipper because if he's anything like most the football players I knew in school then he probably couldn't add 2+2 and get 5..... er, wait a second.....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I don't think the media could have screwed up too much on this Martin. He was riding a motorcycle, the bike was a GSXR 750, he crashed and got hurt. Not much to mess up there, even for the media. Putting a football career in jepardy for this goes beyond dumb, in my opinion. I was a firefighter. It was very strict code what we could and could not do, or you get fired. Now if you had any love for the job and any common sense, you avoided the instant firing violations like the plague. I know guys that did get fired on the spot for certain violations of the code. They got no sympathy. Kind of like Pete Rose betting on baseball. Big mistake. I'm making assumptions, but I bet this guy never had a bike, suddenly thought is was cool, and figured that he had the motorcycle by the balls and it could never hurt a big, strong, coordinated, athelete like him.

Martin, I seriously doubt with your intelligence that you did anything that dumb. Calculated career risk maybe, but you don't seem like the kind of guy that is reckless or stupid. So one question. If you were a rookie football player and signed a contract for millions, would you have gotten on a bike? My bet is no, 100 times out of 100 for you.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Hear hear. I too recently talk a friend of mine out of getting a ZX6 as a starter bike and got him to go with an SV650 instead. Those are plenty for a beginner.

I've never figured this attitude out... why guys think they need 100+hp. I've had a total ball on 30-40hp streetbikes like the old RD series Yammerhammers. Never felt deprived on one of those at all. Carving canyons or stoplight GP. 40HP superlight motorcycles rule!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm still trying to figure out if this idiot could have ever found a worse modern motorcycle to learn on? Why couldn't he pick up a Speed Triple or an FZ1? He still would have had the all-important cool factor. A GSXR750?!!?!? Har har har.

I love the new GSXR750. I'd love to own one. But a beginner's bike? Get real. Whothefrick sold it to him? Tar and feather the @$$hole.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #55
Iman01
Founding Member

And a friend of mine renewed to motorcycling wiped out over 130mph on a SV650. No matter what bike you pick, you can get hurt. No matter how full of yourself you are, you made mistakes, and still make them today. Get off your high horses.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #56
Fenton
Founding Member

I agree with the "most people" shouldn't part. I do disagree with any monetary, opportunity arguments for not getting on a motorcycle. Acceptable risk is going to be different for everyone. One might not risk a 10 mil. contract but would risk leaving a wife and kid without a husband and father.

BTW, you could pay me 10 million not to ride, but I wouldn't quit because of a job that paid me 10 million.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

Dude, if you can't see the wisdom of learning to ride on a more sedate mount than one with 100+hp and a two-stroke like upper end hit, then I don't know what to say.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #58
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They did pay him not to ride. It was part of his contract. You wouldn't have to quit the job if it forbade riding a motorcycle any more than you would need to quit baseball because you wanted to bet on it. You would be history. If he's cool with it, I am too. I just think he's stupid.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #59
Fenton
Founding Member

I was not allowed to ski under my college scholarship program. Hence, you can pay me not to ski. I think he is stupid also for the number of common sense infractions.

I wasn't directing the monetary comment at you, just toward the discussion.

The "look at how much money and potential you have" reasoning not to ride just makes no sense. The opposite case being, I might as well ride motorcycles, my life doesn't mean much.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #60
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You make a good point seruzawa. Selling a bike like that to a newbie is about like selling a live hand grenade to a six year old. I know that motorcycle dealers are in the business of making money, but when they allow their sales people to sell bikes like this to anyone that happens to have the money they a pi$$ing in their own well. This kind of short sightedness goes on far too often. Instead of encouraging the new rider to buy something smaller, and less glamorous to learn on, and then becoming a potential life long customer, they kill the goose that laid the golden egg for a quick profit. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote