Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-03-2005, 06:57 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Football player crashes, helmet in orbit

Stupid #1 Riding a motorcycle. His contract forbade it.

Stupid #2 Riding a GSXR 750 for first ride

Stupid #3 You don't think he crashed by going slow, do you??

Three strikes and he's out! I don't believe in the "Darwin's theory" bullshyt, but I DO think when you do 3 wrong things in one small stretch of time you tempt fate in the wrong direction and it usually bites you in the ass. It bit Mr. Winslow. My nephew is a minor league baseball player that has tremendous potential to be a Major League player, and I was visiting him this weekend. He was checking out my motorcycle magazines and looking at the ZX-10 and GSXR 1000's. He told me he wanted to get one. I told him that if he did, I would personally come down and break his arms before the bike did. My advise to him was to get a bike when your career is done. Motorcycling is dangerous business, and he really has no business risking what it took him years to develop.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #32
edward44
Founding Member

Clearly what is needed is a large sticker on the tank warning that operating said vehicle could be hazardous to ones health. The number of skull and crossbones corresponding to the power rating of the bike. Or maybe color-coded like Homeland Security. It works on beer-doesn't it?
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #33
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Who the hell said he was "stuntin'?"

He was riding in a parking lot. If you've never been on a bike, it's easy to lose control even if you're not "stuntin'." Of course it was stupid of him not to strap on his helmet, but nowhere does it say he was stunting.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #34
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You forgot Stupid #4 Not strapping on his helmet. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #35
Nplateau
Founding Member

Problem is, most newbies don't know what a "smaller" motorcycle is. They probably relate engine size and power according to what they know about cars. A 750 cc engine with 120 ponies, to a newbie, sounds docile in comparison to a 350 hp V-8. That doesn't excuse anything, but I've had many conversations with newbies and those interested in getting into motorcycling who have expressed disdain that a modern 600 "only" produces around 100 hp. When I tell them that my 250 puts down 27 hp on a good day, I have to face the humiliation of them rolling around on the floor. Which is fine I guess, because I know better than they do, but the point is that most new riders have no clue what a "small" bike is.

Many dealerships prey on this naivete as well. My buddy, who's only about 20-21 years old and has never ridden a bike before, went into a Honda dealership here in Los Angeles a few months ago, and the dealer actually tried to convince him that the CBR1000RR would be a better buy than the 600 because he would outgrow the 600 too soon. When my friend told me about this, I lost my cool. I started yelling (only because I care) about how stupid that was and that if he does buy that bike and something happens the dealer should be charged with murder. Anyway, he made the right decision and didn't buy the 1000. I've convinced him to take the MSF class and start slow.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #36
Nplateau
Founding Member

Ditto that.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 AM   #37
Nplateau
Founding Member

You'll probably still pick him this year. I say go with Antonio Gates.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #38
bikervince
Founding Member

If someone told me, "Here's ten million dollars but you can't ride motorcycles" I'd tell 'em to keep the $$$. What good is money if you can't do what you love most?
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:42 AM   #39
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

If riding a bike was forbidden by his contract then that's between him and his team owner.

It isn't specified that this was his first time riding. Nonetheless he probably didn't have much experience. Perhaps a GSXR750 wasn't the best choice to learn on. The facts of the incident still don't reflect that he was a suicidal squid.

The story states that he was going 35mph. Considering the potential, this is not fast. I've ridden my bicycle faster than that with no helmet.

With all due respect, who the hell are you to be telling others what their business is? You can offer all the wise and well-intentioned advice you want, but passing a priori judgement on the free and peaceful choices others make in their lives is not the job of our fellow men.

This guy took a reasonable amount of precaution to lessen the risk to innocent bystanders, and was actually seeking instruction, which is more than many new sportbike buyers bother to do. Not strapping the helmet down was dumb but let he who has never done anything stupid cast the first stone. Sounds like he might recover and be OK despite the worst wishes of every self-righteous blowhard. LOL

P.S. my comments are semi-tongue in cheek, not to be taken personally like JohnnyB did a long time ago.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:51 AM   #40
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Mr Vince, its all a moot point. I'm pretty sure no-one is going to offer me $1mill to do something, so its a moral quandry most of us will never face.

However, if I was offered that much money, I'd sure consider the rest of the deal. Cause one or two years off a bike to get it sounds easy enough to me.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote