Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-03-2005, 04:48 AM   #11
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Football player crashes, helmet in orbit

"I don't understand they never fasten their straps in biker boyz..."
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2005, 05:19 AM   #12
Iman01
Founding Member

And it is not possible that any of the 4 people riding with him were teaching him anything? You may be right that it was just a bunch of hooligans playing with their new toys, but we don't know that for sure.

I am thankful I didn't make the news every time I made a mistake.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
dlhampton
Founding Member

i dont understand why some people are being critical. so he was probably stunting and he did not have a lot of riding experience. so? he was in an empty parking lot. seems like a good place to be goofing around rather than on the road. how many riders did not launch their dirt bikes and bicycles off ramps as kids? goofing is fun; we all have probably done it a little from time to time. he messed up and now he's hurt and probably learned something. let's give the guy a break. there is no problem stunting around in the proper environment, and it seems he had that. as for the no helmet straps, now that was stupid!
dlhampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:51 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

From the news article, it sounds to me like this guy was being more responsible about riding his new high-horsepower sportbike than many new squids.....accepting instruction from some (at least somewhat) more experienced riders in an empty parking lot with mitigated risk. At least it was 35mph into some bushes rather than 135mph into the side of someone's car. I say give the guy a break. He shouldn't face any charges and he was being as responsible as any of us could ask, and more so than many of us were when we started riding ourselves. My 3rd ride on a motorcycle, after about 30 minutes of experience on an older bike, was on my friend's brand-new '96 GSXR750, on a public road, no helmet, shorts, t-shirt.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #15
ValkBandit
Registered Member

squid alert .....
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well his "friends" obviously weren't too experienced if they were allowing him to learn on a GSXR750 parking lot or no.

I won't even get into the unstrapped helmet.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

As usual the news article is so short on details that it's impossible to figure out what really occurred. Getting into trouble doesn't require being a stuntaz if you are riding an FZ1 in a parking lot. This incident could have been as simple as some guy merely getting over his head on a 130hp bike while trying to learn.

Another reason to require tiered licensing. You don't put a pilot trainee in a carrier launched A/F-18 on his first flight do you? You don't put a teenager in a Turbo Carrera on his first lesson do you? What makes people who would never try the above to think that they can get away with learning on an R6?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Perfect response.

Nothing wrong with stunting when you've never ridden a motorcycle before!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The full story was in my local paper this morning. Several different AP versions come across the wire and some papers choose to run the short version.

He was riding his newly purchased 2005 GSXR750 while "practicing" in a parking lot sans helmet straps or qualified instruction apparently.

Can you just hear the salesman and his buddies telling him to get the smaller 750 rather than a 1000 because it's a "better beginner's bike?" Mr ALLCAPS would be proud.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

Come on guys, this is going to happen a couple hundred more times before the weekend.

Practice in a parking lot with friends.....$0

Getting spooked and yanking on the gas....$0

Hitting curb and wrecking new bike.......$9,000

Not strapping helmet..........Stupid
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote