Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Crazy traffic stop (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/2714-crazy-traffic-stop.html)

TEvo 03-30-2005 01:48 AM

Re: Crazy traffic stop

I guess some of the public and some of the law enforcement community still can't grasp the fact motorcyclists are as likely to be lawyers and doctors as they are motorcycle gangsters or street racers.

Crazy and pathetic.

SRMark 03-30-2005 02:12 AM

Sounds like the cop should have been checked by a urologist while he was at the hospital. I think he may be lacking in testicular capacity. He just had to assert his dominance over a motorcyclist.

Where are we finding these fools so lacking in decision-making ability? With our tax dollars going to so many questionable studies, isn't there some university that can come up with a personality assessment that will let law enforcement agencies weed these types out before they get through the academy?

We have a cop who won't send an ambulance to the aid of a downed rider and we have a cop who won't let medical staff get to the hospital. Who knows what would have happened if this doc was going to the hospital to perform emergency surgery on a downed motorcyclist.

sliphorn 03-30-2005 02:21 AM

James Brolin? He's married to Barbra Streisand. Yikes!

longride 03-30-2005 02:53 AM

You mean you actually remember Marcus Welby??

tumbler 03-30-2005 03:10 AM

At least the cop received a just reprimand...

sportbike_pilot 03-30-2005 03:16 AM

Sheesh!

pplassm 03-30-2005 03:22 AM

Just barely. I only remember that there was a motorcycle riding doctor on the show. Don't think I ever watched it. i was probably watching cartoons.

longride 03-30-2005 03:45 AM

Yeah, James Brolin was the cool Doc that rolled up on the bike on the intro. He did wear his helmet too, if I recall correctly, so he was even cooler yet. I watched the show as a kid, but I never remembered that part until you brought it up. Things just aren't the same as the 60's anymore.

christian_gates 03-30-2005 03:46 AM

The excuse that the guy didn't pull over immediately is completely lame. I had a cop follow me for a mile with his lights on - but at a 1/4 - 1/2 mile distance - and he never hit his sirens at all. Anyway, the cop was irate and I told him that I was paying attention to traffic ahead of me and to the sides, which seemed reasonable. I didn't get cuffed, but I did get an ABSURD ticket for tailgating.

I think police go out of their way to bait people sometimes just so they can exercise their little power. It's good to see one get a punished for his zealotry.

I've hammered this drum many times: the more subjective components of traffic enforcement, particularly speed enforcement (I'm 100% supportive of aggressive enforcement of traffic control such as stop, yield and lights) is unfair by any reasonable moral or judicial standard. You are effectively presumed guilty of a crime in court based on subjective views of one person and enforcement is utterly arbitary. Further, it does virtually nothing to advance public safety. Speed in particulay is flat-out not correlated with incidences of crashes. In some studies it is correlated with the severity of crashes (physics logically suggets this).

I don't have any data on multi- versus single-vehicle crashes associated with speed information.

Ridiculous!

cdg

TwitchMacabre 03-30-2005 03:57 AM

I will play dumb here.

But do doctors legitimately have the OK to speed? What did the cop do that was wrong buy not buying his story? After he confirmed the story, then he drove him to the hospital.

Not to sure why the doctor was in hand cuffs for doing 35 in a 25.

It reads like the cop was fallowing procedures.