Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #21
Gippy
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane splitting proposed for Texas

something tells me this dude gets the concept of sarcasm... oh that was sarcasm by the way
Gippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2005, 02:04 AM   #22
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

I sent ~20 letters to various legislators in North Carolina earlier this year trying to get consideration for lane splitting. Some initial feedback was promising, but once it reached a transportation comittee it was deemed "too dangerous". This, dispite the fact that in my letter I quoted the Hurt Report's finding that lane splitting can be safer than sitting in traffic with limited escape routes.

My recommendation: send letters to your law makers! Don't use email; they get hundreds of emails a day that are easily dismissed. I'm sure they get hundreds of letters too, but I think the time and energy required for email carries some weight.

I'm going to try sending letters again, using the TX information as additional ammunition.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #23
dogcatfud
Registered Member

Hogeye states that the press has not given this proposal any coverage. So if the bill gets signed into law, how will cagers know that lane splitting is legal? They won't and we'll end up hearing plenty of news stories about bike vs car road rage and "accidents" where riders are squeezed into neighboring vehicles.

Let's hear suggestions on how to properly educate cagers about legalized lane splitting. Kicking off mirrors or denting body panels doesn't count.
dogcatfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:50 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

How about a letter in large print informing drivers of the lane splitting law every time they renew their license? Also add an extra question for the new drivers test: Is lane sharing legal in Texas?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:43 AM   #25
chingbaby
Registered Member

The number of SUVs on the road have made lane splitting pretty near impossible. In New York, the lanes are pretty narrow. SUVs next to each other means not enough space to fit a 250 Ninja with no mirrors through.
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:08 AM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

There's a proposal to make it legal in Washington too. I think it's in the preliminary stages now so I don't know how it'll pan out. The state also wants to tack another knickle on the gas tax and start basing vehicale registration fees on gvwr.

Maybe that'll get some of the Excursions and Armadas back on the lot where they belong, instead of clogging up the roads.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:18 AM   #27
SRMark
Founding Member

I'd love to see this happen in Maryland on the Baltimore and Capitol Beltways and on I-70 and I-270. I can't believe such a thing exists in California. Texas, way to go! Maybe Virginia will take a lead and Maryland will be shamed into following their lead.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
npanta
Founding Member

You are welcome in Greece and most of Europe to ride only between lanes. I personally commute daily on a Ninja ZX12R. Cars are doing 0 to 40mph and bikes typically 10 to 30mph more. Accidents are very rare.
npanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

WTF, you can't lane-split? You poor SOB.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #30
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

So how'd you do in the race last weekend? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote