Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #81
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Maine's oldest newspaper calls for the return of mandatory helmet laws

Every argument you nanny-puds have raised to support helmet laws could be used to simply outlaw motorcycles. And that would reduce motorcycle deaths, oh, 100%.

I live in Maine (and whoever said "Send kpaul to Maine" has earned a curse from the first Gypsy I can give $200 to), and I wear a helmet. My choice.

In words johnnyb can understand, "think 2wice b4 u tell some1 else what 2 do or not 2 do b-cuz someone else can do the same 2 u."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #82
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Maine's oldest newspaper calls for the return of mandatory helmet laws

One thing all of you "We have to do something!" nannycrats fail to learn is that laws have unintended consequences. The province of Ontario passed a helmet law for bicyclists, and bicycle ridership plummeted. So a few heads were saved, but now many former riders will be driving or sitting in front of the tube instead of getting exercise. How many lives will that cost?

Helmet laws decrease ridership. That equals less political clout, fewer bikes being sold, dealerships being pinched, etc.

Laws are not the answer to every problem, especially when they cause other problems.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:15 AM   #84
Cubist
Founding Member

I'm in favor of either having manditory helmet laws for riders between the ages of 16 and 25, or giving insurance companies the right to deny claims of riders who can be shown not to have worn a helmet. As long as the folks they injure remain covered by liability, it then becomes up to the rider to determine whether or not he wants to wear a helmet. Flame me if you want, but I ride, and I also work in an operating room, and I know more than most what not wearing a helmet means.
Cubist is offline   Reply With Quote