Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 02-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #62
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Everyone needs to see this

Unfortunately for you JB,you're defending KPAUL the wrong time........his statistics and his analysis is flawed.Flawed math shouldnt convince you of anything. It maybe true that an increase in death rate when helmet laws are repealed may be partially attributable to the repeal,but KPaul's "math" didnt prove it

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #63
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Statistics for dummies and liars (Fox news fans)

Im not talking about the glaring MISTAKE you made which you attributed to a "TYPO";Im talking about your whole analysis....very flawed. In my business,this type of sloppy analysis could kill somebody. To attribute a 9 percentage point increase in death rate to lack of helmet use you would need to have data on how many accidents involved helmeted riders,how many involved unhelmeted riders,how many deaths were helmeted,how many were unhelmeted,etc. Even then there would be some uncertainty because you would like to have some analysis of how many deaths of unhelmeted riders were because of lack of helmet use Also when an increase of only 9 pts is involved,it helps to evaluate the data sample size and assess a confidence level. Your statement of a 53 percent increase in fatality rate ,while correct was very misleading. No good statistician trying to present unbiased data would present results that way. Sorry KPAUL...I dont usually jump into these things because nobody really cares;but when you throw up a spurious (and incorrect,typo or not) analysis under the title of Statistics for Dummys and then make fun of people who doubt your analysis because they are obviously not as smart as you;I just couldnt help myself.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #64
Neal
Founding Member

Sorry:I posted this the wrong place...I meant to respond to a nother of your posts...but the thoughts apply.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #65
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Maine's oldest newspaper calls for the return of mandatory helmet laws

In the dog world, you wouldn't be a poodle, tou'd be a TICK!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #66
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: More stinking crap substituted for logic

I am in agreement with 92.8% of that statement. However, helmet or not, when you let a guy lay around in the ICU until he can be moved to a bed and rehabilitated the costs pile up. The most recent case at our local hospital also included a helicopter ride to the emergency room for the uninsured rider. The hospital is left holding the bag for the cost of saving a life. By the way, he was wearing a helmet.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #67
dylanmo
Founding Member

Word.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #68
dylanmo
Founding Member

Hmmm.....

So, since deaths almost doubled over a few years, and assuming that "a few" is more than "a couple", which is three years in the limit of small few....

That is equivalent to an increase of 26% per year of deaths, assuming that "almost" is "exactly". It is interesting, however, that there were two significant figures reported for the registration numbers, but one for the deaths. Maybe some people were only kinda dead?

And registrations increase at a rate of 31% per year.

Six percent difference. So, let's have the debate on helmet laws. There are plenty of cogent arguments advocating mandatory helmet laws. Why not try using one of them, Mssr. Cook?

By the way, I went to school in Colorado and Minnesota. One state was barely for Bush, one barely for Kerry. I'm sure that is crucial information for your response, presuming you have the grapes to post one. Let me check my Magic 8-Ball...[shake shake shake]...Un****inglikely!
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #69
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Maine's oldest newspaper calls for the return of mandatory helmet laws

Damn straight, joke 'em if they can't take a f**k

People from Maine talk funny anyway, and they wear those earflap hats just like a damn commie.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #70
sarnali
Founding Member

It just means you take it up the ass, blue state benny-boy
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote