Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Washington State proposed bill against profiling

I think the best example of a motorist advertising "please stop and search me" was some fool I saw in SoCal in a Chevy pickup truck with a personalized license plate that said "PnmaRed". That even tops a "Grateful Dead" bumper sticker.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #12
gniewko
Registered Member

Of course profiling is effective, but that doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do, or that it should happen.

You shouldn't have to put up with getting harrassed by cops when you're not doing anything wrong, just because you fit a certain "profile". If a cop has an actual reason to pull me over - if I'm doing something that would get any vehicle in trouble - great, that's no problem. But cops shouldn't profile and stop bikers who aren't doing anything wrong just because they are riding motorcycles.

I've heard plenty of stories of cops pulling over motorcycles just to check their license/registration. I have been stopped by a cop for failing to signal a lane change in Manhattan, where traffic is a free-for-all, and where a car would never in a million years get stopped for something like that. That's profiling, that's abuse of police authority, and it shouldn't happen.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

There ARE alien abductions, you fool! Didn't you notice that KPile was gone for a few days? It's just too bad the the alien "be nice" implant only worked for one day.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #14
sarnali
Founding Member

my point exactly. if you don't like the rules, don't play the game.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

My step-son had a flashing blue strobe light hooked up to his stereo anda marijuana leaf air freshener hanging of his rearview, driving around in his ratty Probe with the tunes blasting. Can't imagine why he got stopped so much.........
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #16
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I wasn't arguing whether or not it was right or wrong, only if it is effective or not. I agree that in a perfect world it shouldn't happen, but this world ain't perfect.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #18
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Let's try a different approach then

How about less laws? Make motorcycles exempt from the motor vehicle code other than parking. I'll vote for that. Any experienced rider on a modern sportbike should not be subject to the same lowest-common-denominator traffic laws that are there for the safety of the blue-haired old ladies in their Mercury Medicare sleds.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:46 AM   #19
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

So in other words, if you have a lifestyle, or do certain things (smoke a bowl, speed on a bike, etc...) that hurts no one else but is socially unacceptable, you should get pulled over more. OK. What country is this again?

The police should be legally confined to catching actual criminals intent on harming others through force or fraud and face criminal sanctions for detaining anyone else without just cause. Any cop that violates the rights of citizens should face jail time. If some criminals go free as a result, so be it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."-----Thomas Jefferson
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #20
gniewko
Registered Member

And because profiling shouldn't happen, the proposed law makes sense.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote