Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-17-2001, 05:38 AM   #21
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default Re: If you paid a freaking dime, I might give you a kleenex.

The PC aspect is that everyone feels they have WAY to many rights these days. I think a healthy balance between a stupid public, and a worrying public needs to be found. Motorcycle Online is a private publication, read by people who choose to read it. If this was NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, some form of public communication, you might have a reason to be upset. If MO wants to wheelie naked, in traffic, with no helmet, so be it! If you aren't able to form your own opinions about what is safe, and what isn't, then perhaps you should assess your function as a thinking citizen.

The reason I blew up, is because every thread here is bloated with bickering and whining. Sometimes it is warranted, but rarely. I am not saying that people should not be able to voice their opinions, that's yours and my right, but I ask people who have no grasp on the world to keep them at a minimum.

Rob Nance
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2001, 05:41 AM   #22
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default That's what 8TrillionNameVariations@yahoo.com is for

The way everyone whined, I thought that MO didn't keep a cookie, and you had to log in every time you came here. That's the only reason I held off for so long.

Conspiracy theorists of the world unite, so I can smack you all. Register, log in, be happy, stop worrying about "confounded machines" getting your personal info or invading your privacy. The web, contrary to popular belief, is NOT out to get you.

Rob "truthsayer" Nance
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 05:57 AM   #23
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: If you paid a freaking dime, I might give you a kleenex.

I agree the pointless bickering and whining gets old. In this case, though, it seems to me that the "that was really stupid" posts are far from pointless. MO has enough readers such that those types who want to tell us what we can or can't do could make an argument that they are representative of motorcyclists in general, or at least a significant segment.

Like it or not, they do have a de facto responsibility to the sport. I'd love to kick back and just enjoy stunts like this (I wish I could do them myself). The trouble is, in this PC world, you just know someone with the ability to cause real trouble will, based on stuff like this. I don't tend to be a whiner, and I don't view the stance I'm taking on this topic as whining. I think I'm just being realistic.

It is because I am a thining citizen I have issue with stunting on public streets. It is my responsibility as a thinking and riding citizen to speak up.

-Tom
TBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 06:19 AM   #24
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Joe Senator?

You actually think that the federal government will get involved in wheelie regulation? Given their high aptidude for sticking their big snouts where they don't belong, you might be right. Get out and vote.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 06:21 AM   #25
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default No chance....

So you want me to reserve track time, take the day off, drive and hour and a half, suit up, and get on a track just to do a wheelie?
Old 01-17-2001, 06:27 AM   #26
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Paranoid (justifiably?!?!?)

Do you seriously think that what I do in Minnesota (I don't know where you live) will have any effect on what you are able to do? Inasmuch as local regulations are concerned, I certainly will not. Federally, maybe your fears are justified, and one more reason to vote for the Constitution party.
Old 01-17-2001, 06:37 AM   #27
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Irrelevant...

I reject the communal responsibility notion that you have put forth. I didn't need MO in order to be in love with crotch rockets when I was fourteen. I read Cycle World, saw them doing wheelies. I can only remember one instance of seeing a wheelie on the street my entire life before I bought a bike, and that was when I was probably 19 or 20, when it was too late anyway. The bug had already bitten. Do you think MO, or anyone else for that matter, is fooling these kids into thinking that this is legal? Even safe?
Old 01-17-2001, 06:58 AM   #28
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: Irrelevant...

Nah, I don't think MO is fooling kids one way or the other. That's not what I was talking about regarding MO's responsibility to the sport. The kids will find their encouragement one way or the other, like I did when I was a kid. The kids will just think MO is way cool. I'm not going to get off on a safety track, because others are doing that in other threads.

I do think the types of people who are likely to want to legislate their views of propriety on me can argue with some credibility that MO is simply representing the sport, and giving its readers what they want.

As journalists, MO staffers tend to go for what sells, and usually don't preach safety and prudence, because what's cool about that?

Now, you and I know that most of us are mostly safe most of the time. I am concerned, however, that the government-types will remember only movies of standing wheelies on city streets in a mainstream publication when feeling the need to tell me what I can or can't do or buy. MO isn't an underground or extreme publication, and one could argue that they represent the mainstream motorcycle population. (I can't talk for MO, but I suspect they don't think of themselves as 'mainstream.' However, there is responsibility with success, like it or not.)

Am I arguing against stunts? Hell no! I love 'em. However, there are more responsible ways to have the fun and send the right message. (Take a look at 2WF.com-- they've got a whole article on stunting, but they did theirs on a closed runway.) MO took the easiest way they could to show us how cool they are-- it looks like they literally ran out their front door and used the street in front of their building. Put a little effort into it guys! Save us all a bunch of grief later.

-Tom
Old 01-17-2001, 07:02 AM   #29
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: Paranoid (justifiably?!?!?)

Check out AMA site some time. What folks are doing out in the desert in California has a direct impact on legislation affecting my off-road riding ability on the east coast. That's just the way it works, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to argue that one wheelie on the street will lead directly to doom for us all. But it certainly contributes, and gives easy ammo to those who want to get us off the streets. And there are definitely those who want to do that.

At least make them work for it. Like I said, just be discreet!

-Tom
Old 01-17-2001, 07:18 AM   #30
TBones
Founding Member

Default Re: No chance....

No, man. Just be discreet.

-Tom