Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-14-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Riverside Beware, Something For The Dirt MOFO's

Charge that hill, boss we're right behind you.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #12
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Horses...

You forgot, and has eyes that point in two different directions. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

That's the way it's getting here too, the new sign of affluance is a 5 acre mountain view lot, 2 or 3 Appaloosas gazing peacefully next to the shiney white his 'n hers Highlanders in the curving driveway of your McMansion. I always beep the horn if they're next to the fence, gives them a little excersise.

Most of the places I went dirty-biking and .22 shooting as a kid are someones yard now. At the age my daughters are now, 12 & 13, I was out running around on dirt bikes and screwing around in the woods all day. They can't really do that now because the woods are someones property and fenced off. They just hang around the neighborhood with their croneys making googly eyes at the boys.

Makes me feel like grabbing a cardigan and watching Lawrence Welk re-runs...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Chris was wearing a helmet

Please, don't start that again.

That horse is dead and buried.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #15
stoney8888
Founding Member

Boy, not many good comments about riverside.

No thanks, I guess I would move to Montana or maybe Wyoming where there must be a lot less horses or something.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #16
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default On the other hand...

Also, horses have only one horsepower, which, (last I checked) is not a very good power-to-weight ratio.

True - but when was the last time you plowed a field with a Ducati??

Wait, didn't we kind of do that?

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Geritol & tow ropes

Wunnerfull wunnerfull, anda nowa we have-a the Lennon Sisters singing-a "Tiny Bubbles".

Lately, what with the encroachment of civilization, I feel real lucky to have grown up in the 60's and 70's. Before spark arrestors, green stickers and reliable electrical systems.

Hell, growing up in LA back then, every vacant lot was a potential MX track waiting to be born. And pulling over for the cops was optional.

Maybe that's why I still drool over CL350's, DT1's, old Beezers and such.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Movin' to Montana soon...

..gonna be a dental floss tycoon...
Old 10-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #19
Neal
Founding Member

Offroad riders are an endangered species.My old riding areas have all been fenced off or are patrolled by cops on 4-wheelers.Most farmers dontletus ride due to liability....the last farmer who let us use his property was harrassed by folks in the new housing development built right up against his property and wontlet us ride anymore.There are NO open public rding areas within 60 miles of my house......the closest practiceMX park is 2.5 hours away. If it wasnr for weekend racing Id not ride at all. Offroad issues are my main reason for supporting AMA.If you think Big Brother and the politically correct liberals arent out to control society,you aint a dirt rider.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:30 AM   #20
blitz
Founding Member

It's a world gone mad. My girls (ages 7 & 9) and I have to drive 2 hours to ride our dirt bikes. But, it is a state forest in MN, and it's really nice, so it's worth it. (We'll do 100 miles of fireroad and single track over a weekend, compared to KPaul's 150 big street miles. What a joke, but I digress).

Like Sarnali, I look back at how things were when I was my kids' age, and *really* sense a loss. I rode ALL over when I was 10, and hadn't a care in the world. Even if my kids could ride all over, I couldn't let them for fear of some pedophile stealing them. I don't let them out of my sight.

Anyway, although MN is overrun with the green freaks, through effective cooperation with the DNR, there is actually a state forest which is open exclusively to horses all weekends but 2 per year. On those two weekends (one spring, one fall), the park is open to motorcyclists. Great trails, and the local club (Golden Eagles) do a great job of trail maintenance. It goes to show that if people are willing to work at it, and NOT be a-holes, the DNR will listen.

This gives me hope that we still have a future.

Sarnali, do your girls ride? My girls live for it. That, and I get to spend 2 days a week exclusively with them. Its as much fun for me as it is for them. Nothing beats having your female offspring dust a couple of smart aleck young bucks in the woods. The only downside is that now they want KTMs. Better that than lip gloss, I guess.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote