Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #34
ewok1
Founding Member

Default not kpaul and definitely unwilling to opine

regarding the relative intelligence of engineers, but i had to grin, nope i laughed out loud, at this response. i think all engineers are better at math than than i am. i think otherwise they seem pretty much like the rest of the college educated population. a few dumb ones to be sure, but not many. i will say this, i have had a boatload of bad luck with geo techs and expert testimony.

next time you get a ticket in poky i have an idea that doesn't reach the merits of the case. idaho allows you to forfeit bond and there is no record of any moving violation.

as an idaho aside, my wife and i rode the mccall to sunvalley ride through banks/lowman a couple of weeks ago. i'm sure you've ridden that. man what a great stretch of road.

ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #35
ewok1
Founding Member

Default testimony

generally sbp would have to be a licensed professional engineer to allow for the easy admission of his opinion as an expert for engineering opinions. i don't know for sure but i think he well exceeds that criteria. or is it criterion? anyhoo, as for needing a ph.d that's definitely not the case, altho it usually doesn't hurt. and i might add i think sbp probably qualifies there too.

you don't need any kind of degree to be an expert witness in many cases. i would try to give you a simple standard but i can't. i suggest imwinklereid's "evidentiary foundations" as a reasonable research starting point.

so far as i know the idaho guys who post on this site are well educated and damn smart to boot.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #36
wd6cmu
Founding Member

Default Re: Parallex error??? Physics for Racerboys.

I doubt parallax was a big problem, reaction time would be a bigger error. But I agree he can't argue he wasn't doing some outrageous speed. The judge might reduce it, but he won't dismiss.

Reminds me of the physicist who got ticketed for running a red light. He argued in court that he was approaching the intersection so fast that the red light appeared to be green from the Doppler shift. The judge didn't buy it and let the charge stand. If the judge had been smart, he'd have made the defendant calculate his velocity and given him a speeding ticket.
wd6cmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #37
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Difference between engineers and physicists

I thought that you were supposed to be the expert at everything here? Obviously you have little experience in forensics. All you have to have is the confidence in an attorney and you are in. I've worked on many cases over the years (primarily audio/video survelliance), all with successful outcomes for our clients. Track record is the only thing that counts. I think that you are confusing expert witnesses with court appointed experts.

And this measurement is bogus. No matter how many times you write the same equation down it is still wrong. If you don't understand why it is wrong then I have been giving you way too much credit for knowing something. I teach physics to freshmen three days a week and they all know why this measurement is bogus. So what gives with Boeing's best?

In most jurisdictions manual timing simply will not cut in in court precisely because people like me show that it is highly inaccurate at high speeds or over short distances. Was this guy speeding? of course, was he doing 200+? Of course not (unless CBR1000rr's suddenly got faster than the one we rode). Why the discrepancy? A blunder in timing! The last time I was involved (in a secondary role as an advisor) in a case like this we got over 200 tickets dismissed and it wasn't even particularly hard to do. There was one deputy sheriff in Lexington KY who I thought was going to shoot me though, if that makes you feel any better.

sbp

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote