Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #21
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Parallex error??? Physics for Racerboys.

The parallax error is embedded in a much greater measuring error. I have reams of data from students in our intro physics labs here who perform a timing experiment similar to this that indicates that the reaction time error for such a measurement is on the same order of magnitude as the time interval being measured -- rendering the measurement statistically meaningless. If this story is true I'd love to be the expert witness testifying on behalf of the accused in court because the stated accuracy (read from a stopwatch) is about three sig figs off. It's total B.S. In my experience in forensics this type of terrible science is unfortunately, all too common.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 205MPH on a CBR 1000RR?

This guy will get slapped hard is my guess. I'm sure he'll try to prove he wasn't going as fast as indicated, but if there ever was a "kangaroo court", traffic court is it. There is no interest in fairness there, just give me the money man and do your service. I don't think the states will do much about these morons. By the time the guy gets done with lawyer bills, fines and community service, they will probably ask him to demonstrate his speed prowess again so they can have him do it all over again. The states would have to raise taxes without these guys.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:37 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 205MPH on a CBR 1000RR?

I figured you'd be in a good mood after the Bears stuck it to Green Bay last sunday. Heh heh.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:03 PM   #27
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Difference between engineers and physicists

Maybe that's why everytime I appeal a ticket I win. Probably why I'm batting 1000 in forensics cases too.

Are you telling me that in your opinion all engineers are stupid ?

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Try again Racerboy. .

Ok, you're right KP, he was simply going 205 MPH on his new, stock, Honda 1000. How could I have doubted the officer?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #30
ewok1
Founding Member

Default in no particular order

1. it is now and shall remain a serious flaw in our criminal justice system that, generally speaking, the people with the lowest intelligence, least training and poorest temperment have the greatest amount of discretion. da traffic pOlice. no offense meant, think about it before you attack this statement.

2. i come out on the side of the folks who think the math was wrong.

3. i am amused by sbp's reference to the phrase "statistically insignificant". pray tell what margin of error renders this methodology so. i agree with the conclusion, i just wonder what the expert testimony might be. and as for the expert testimony wish, be careful what you wish for, esteemed sbp.

4. it occurs to me that he may have been going 170 or 171 mph. it takes a long straight to get to 180. yeah maybe nos was involved, but still, even with nos it seems unlikely due to the wind resistance. i don't know of any ama superbike that got over 200 this year. some of the straights are 6th gear red line affairs, true?

5. i am not aware of any state that would throw the case out because he was going 170 instead of 205 as timed this way. maybe if by radar and you could show that the officer, wasn't trained in its use, or could demonstrate the machine was broken. still all would not be lost because the officer can testify that he is trained in the observation of speeding vehicles and can say he approximated the speed at 200 or whatever. the testimony is admissable unless the cop didn't actually have that training (and they all say they do). it would still be a reckless driving in idaho. even if it were charged as a standard infraction, it wouldn't matter that the math was wrong. it most likely wasn't 135 mph wrong.

6. folklore in idaho tells the story of one of the beach boys who got a reckless driving charge in idaho for traveling 150 mph. the story goes that ferarai north america sent someone to testify that the car was designed for those speeds and the driving was not therefore reckless on a deserted road. they say he was acquitted. i kinda doubt it ever happened, but its a fun story.

that is all.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote