Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2004, 05:15 AM   #221
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Dispatch from the scientific ghetto

You mignt not have heard of the Taylor book but I'll bet you've seen it - the front cover has a picture of a locomotive sticking out of the second story of an old train station. An appropos photo for a book on errors in measurement if there ever was one. Taylor does a great job discussing the effect of standard deviation and standard deviation of the mean (which in this case doesn't "converge" ) and the difference between valid and invalid measurements. In this particular case the reaction time is so large to render the measurement scientifically useless. And all the cop had to do was to pick a larger interval over which to make the same measurement and he could have largely solved the problem.

Galiileo was aware of this hunderds of years ago when attempting to measure the speed of light with lanterns. The difference is that the finest minds of the Renaissance were capable of understanding why this doesn't work too well and the finest mind at Boeing, circa 2004, is not. I guess that just goes to show that genetic variation does not always improve the species.

cheers

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #222
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Default Re: Math for Dummies, Conmen, and fake lawyers (BMW4VW)

I was resisting getting into this and haven't read all the other posts to see if anyone else was geek enough to research this, but if you look up the road on Mapquest, it runs SE to NW in that area. On the Saturday in question, the weather service has maximum sustained winds in the MN-WI area of around 17-18 MPH out of the SE. The ticket says the guy is 5'10" and 155. So a skinny rider who can tuck in, catching a good tail gust could probably exceed the RC-51 top speed by 12 MPH or more.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #223
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Please ignore the last comment

No, if he went to a "counsellor" (no matter what they call them they are all psychologists or psychiatrists) they'd put him on psych drugs and then he'd get even worse.

I recommend a long vacation, no newspapers or TV, long walks in the woods, a good diet and a good regimen of vitamins. Anyone can calm down after a few days or weeks of such a regimen.

The News (TV or papers) is designed to make you crazy. Kook doesn't need any more help in that regard.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:22 PM   #224
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Enough!

You tell 'im Sean!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #225
seruzawa
The Toad

You tell 'im Sean!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #226
seruzawa
The Toad

You tell 'im Sean!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #227
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 205MPH on a stock RC-51?

This weekend I finally got the jetting right on my Yammerhammer IT175 for the 7000-9000 ft altitudes I'm using it at now and it runs 205mph too!

Well actually I can get it over the mountain to Huntington reservior in less time than it would take to ride an RC-51 from the same starting point on the pavement to the reservoir at 205mph. So in a way I'm travelling faster than 205mph! That sort of measuring is apparently good enough for the Minnesota cops.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #228
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Yikes!

You get that Speed Triple yet?
Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #229
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Bwap!

Diet Hansen's Black Cherry soda speweth from my nostrils.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #230
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Yikes!

Man, I WANT to. Got 4 bikes already and my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. I think that may be a good reason to go get the Speed 3!