Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #183
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Wrongo News Flash.

Have you read any part of this thread? Do you actually believe that a stock RC51 is capable of 205mph? Isn't it self evident that the "pilot effed up" the timing? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #184
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Just the facts Just the facts.

Said Department of Public Safety Spokesman Kevin Smith "there was no reason to believe the trooper, who had 27 years of experience, was wrong. He said the Honda could go 205 mph."

``What we have is what we have,'' Smith said. ``That is the number he came up with, and there's really no going back on it.''

Get a clue KP. The reason this bureaucrat is sticking to this patently ridiculous claim is that he knows that if he admits anything else it will be grounds for dismissal of the charges.

Thank you for helping me in proving my point. VWW
Old 09-24-2004, 11:13 AM   #185
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop talking about snow.

Said Department of Public Safety Spokesman Kevin Smith "there was no reason to believe the trooper, who had 27 years of experience, was wrong. He said the Honda could go 205 mph."

``What we have is what we have,'' Smith said. ``That is the number he came up with, and there's really no going back on it.''

Get a clue KP. The reason this bureaucrat is sticking to this patently ridiculous claim is that he knows that if he admits anything else it will be grounds for dismissal of the charges.

Thank you for helping me in proving my point. VWW
Old 09-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #186
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Keeping up with the Buzz's

So, am I as cool as you are - finally?

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #187
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Just the facts Just the facts.

(rant)

My wife has two cousins that are lawyers. One is a criminal defense attorney. He has more funny stories about cases lost simply by the stupidity of arrogant officers than you can imagine.

One of the funniest is a story about a judge screaming redfaced at the top of his lungs at an Asst DA in court because the DA's office and the cops screwed up a case so badly that the judge had to let a parolee who had stabbed another parolee in the heart during a drunken fight go free. Yeah, the parolee had his parole revoked, but the State couldn't pursue any other charges because of the screw ups of the Cops and DAs. No miranda, refused to allow the arrested parolee legal counsel, refused the parolee any meals or use of a bathroom, etc etc etc. Yeah, I know, who cares, right? But cops should know that they can't do these things! Fortunately most cops are smarter than this, but one bad one can screw up a load of cases.

I'm not trying to get down on cops. They have a tough job to do in most cases. Those cases don't include setting up speed traps. That's not police work. It's just plain lazy.

The lawyer cousin asked us once, "Do you really think that the best lawyers (or even often good ones) work for the State?"

Just think "Marcia Clark". Talk about a really crappy DA! This is why so many people can beat the rap.

(end rant)
Old 09-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #188
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: It won't be dropped

Paul this is a legal, not "within acceptable margin of error" issue. It all comes down to what the judge will believe in the end. If this guy can prove (as he probably can) that his bike is not capable of going within 50mph of the speed the cops maintain he hit, that should be enough to introduce reasonable doubt into the judge's mind about the validity of the ticket. If the judge doesn't stop to think about the mathmatecal implications, he could even argue that someone going 70 could be charged with going 120 when they might not have been (the judge might not be technically astute to realize that as speed increases the margin of error must be correspondingly lower to get an accurate speed measurement.)

Since the guy was actually going 40-60 mph slower than the cop indicated, that would introduce up to or even slightly more than a full second of error into the equation. If the cop is subtracting a 1/2 second on either end of everyone that they ticket for speeding using this method, then a lot of people are probably getting ticketed unjustly. If he's incompetent enough to misjudge the hash marks by a full second than he shouldn't be timing for purposes of speed measurement (not that any police should.)
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #190
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Wrongo News Flash.

Here's my point, Kpaul. It's simple. You're such a pin**** blowhard that no one can cut your shiat enough to see if you're actually on to something. Anybody says anything you don't agree with, and it's this and that for dummies. And then, well, you have an MBA. And EEs are the smartest, because everyone knows it. I don't know it. But I do know that people who go around trying to prove how smart they are a) are small people and b) never as smart as they think they are. I know that I don't know very much. Sometimes, I zip up and try to learn something. Why don't you try it - maybe you'll even like it.

SBP tried to be polite to you. He explained that he has a great deal of experience in timing error and has sucessfully argued to that effect in court. That the error was so large as to make it unreasonable to assign guilt in a court of law based on it. He didn't say that the guy wasn't speeding. Do I agree? I don't know, but I think he has a hell of a something to back it up with. All of a sudden, all you have to say is that physicists are bad and engineers are good. I only invoked my educational background to point out that your religous faith in degrees and discipline to decide who is "smartest" is total crap and you miss the point entirely, scurrying off like a freed laboratory mouse to find a doctor who will agree with you. I didn't even offer an opinion on who is right about the timing error issue. If this aero engineer knows all about human timing error, and is not some computer jockey, then fine. Say that. But you think it's all about degrees. It isn't.

If you wanted to actually convince anyone of anything, especially that you were smart, then you would change your tone - a lot. Honestly, take any of your monopolized threads, paste it into Word, and exchange "kpaul" for "George W. Bush" and everyone else for "Kpaul". Is George a person you like? A reasonable person? A smart person? This is a pattern with you, and it's very sad that you need all this attention, but I don't think that your illness should be this board's problem. How Sean resists bannination is beyond me.

I'll tell you what I got a degree in, although it has nothing to do with anything here. Materials Science and Engineering. Let me guess, we're all stoopid and Aeros and EEs are so smart a bachelors in either is worth maybe like a jillion PhDs in MatSci. Also, we wear slippers because we cannot remember how to tie grownup shoes; furthermore, we should not be allowed to drive because we are unable to predict the next color of a traffic light. There, I just saved you some typing.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote