Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-24-2004, 06:20 AM   #141
stoney8888
Founding Member

Default Re: 205MPH on a CBR 1000RR?

please tell me that you are not going to let uptight arseholes have a spelling-bee contest on your site also.

I wish MO was only about motorcycle related information.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2004, 06:34 AM   #142
solar1
Registered Member

Default Re: WRONG

I agree. Some people are arguing the case will get thrown out because the rider can prove convincingly that he could not have been going 205. No way. It's obvious even with timing errors he was going 3 times the limit. He will go to jail. He will get a whopper of a ticket. He will give sportbikers a bad name. Bastard! No judge would throw this out on account of a slight error in calculations.
solar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:36 AM   #143
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Thank you for responding. First and foremost the defendant has already been charged. That happened when the officer issued the citation. What you say is true about who the judge happens to be. It is a sad fact that most of the sitting judges are pulled from the ranks of District Attorney's offices. In cases where DNA evidence has exonerated people you typically find that the prosecutor still insists that the exonerated party is guilty, despite the irrefutable proof presented to the contrary.

The point in my argument that you apparently missed was that in cases where the speed was triple the limit the offense is no longer a simple infraction, and therefore a jury trial is an option for the defendant. Once you escape the confines of the kangaroo traffic court where the judge is also often the prosecution ( which in itself is contrary to standard legal practice ) you greatly increase your odds of winning. As for the lack of a proper license you are right, but that is pretty small potatoes compared to a citation of reckless driving at 205 mph. I agree that simply proving that the speed measurement is inaccurate and getting off seems far fetched, but then again how often have you heard of an obviously guilty party getting a case dismissed because of a legal technicality? The laws don't always seem to make sense, but sometimes that works to your advantage. VWW

BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:46 AM   #144
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: From the horse's mouth

Great Info Abe. I hope the police are dumb enough to stand behind their 205 mph claim so that this traveling speed trap, revenue generation scam will get the light of day shone on it. VWW
Old 09-24-2004, 06:55 AM   #145
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I love it. The police stand behind their error ridden method of measuring speed in a case where it should be patently obvious to the dimmist of bulbs in the proletariate that they are lying. Talk about being hoisted on your own pitard! VWW
Old 09-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #146
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Buyer's market.

Speaking of CBR1000Rs, there's one on the floor at Salt Lake Honda-Suzuki that's discounted to $8,999. The depreciation has begun!