Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #91
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: 205MPH on a CBR 1000RR?

Horse poop. But, IF the fool was really going that fast on public roads he should be the first person to receive the death penalty for speeding.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #92
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Ha ha!

I'm almost ashamed to admit it seruzawa, but I'm starting to enjoy calling him an idiot. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #93
RiceBoy
Registered Member

So parallex error or not, what's he gunna say to the judge? "Your Honor, The cop is way off, I was only going 'bout a 100 above the limit."..sounds like a Foxworthy story to me.

Isn't this the state that just had the controversy over a member of Congress killing a biker?
RiceBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #96
memery748
Registered Member

Default Re: Any attorney's out there?

A lot of legal opinions here about if/how this guy could beat this, role of the judge, etc. I haven't seen anyone who's identified themselves as an attorney with experience with this. I'd really be interested. Is it true that if he's accused of 205 all he has to do is prove that wasn't accurate? I've had tickets reduced before. I've managed to beat the last four tickets but only on technicalities (cop didn't show up, original citation not attached at the hearing, etc.). Fight 'em all and hope for the best.
memery748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:57 AM   #97
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Having some experience in speeding in the great state of Minnisota it is time that I speak up.

I am going tomorrow to contest a "basic speed" ticket that I received about a month ago. It was just after dusk, for all intents and purposes, the sun was down and it was nighttime. The office was in a parking lot in front of a small strip mall near my house and saw me whiz by on the road, and gave chase, apparently. I was so far ahead that I didn't realize he was back there until I rounded the corner near my house and he pulled me over in my driveway. After reading me the riot act about killing myself, he have me a "basic speed" ticket. He tried to get me to admit how fast I was going. I hadn't really looked at the speedo so I just told him that. I asked him how fast HE thought I was doing, and he said 65-70mph. He didn't even base this on how fast I LOOKED like I was going, but how fast he needed to go to catch up with me. Needless to say I will tell the prosecutor that they either drop the ticket or I waste their time with a trial.

The moral of the story being that at least in MN, jackass officers can and will give you a ticket for speeding without even attempting to measure your speed.

As somebody else said, it is up to the officers to be fair and accurate because they have the power of the state behind them (but we live in a police state, for all intents and purposes, so I guess that's just wishful thinking). If generalizations and estimates and arbitrary opinions are enough to convict someone of a crime, even a traffic infraction, then someone with an agenda can easily "estimate" someone into an illegality from whence there was not one previously.

Experimental human reaction times at an unexpected event tend to run in the .2 second range. This guy could easily prove that he wasn't going as fast as the officer claimed, through error as well as from the standpoint of the capabilities of the bike, and therefore the officer's estimation was incorrect not only about the speed but about whether the rider was doing anything reckless.

BTW, everybody's harping on this guy as a "donor" and punk kid and whatnot. Well, unsafe as he may be, at least he chose to do this on a deserted road out in the country and not on 394 in downtown Minneapolis. Isn't it the credo of nearly all motorcyclists that our risk to others is less on our motorcycles? That we should be free to do as we wish as long as we don't put anyone else at risk? Didn't this kid make the smart poor choice by choosing to do it in a place where it didn't endanger anybody else? As a human, doesn't he deserve the dignity of risking his own life as long as he doesn't do likewise to anyone else in the process? The spectrum of risk is long and continuous from this kid doing 200MPH helmetless to someone on their Honda spree in full leathers obeying every traffic law to Valentino Rossi's antics on the racetrack. Let's put it this way-----the guy did it and survived without a scratch, and didn't hurt anyone else. Perhaps the risk isn't as great as everyone purports it to be. How many of us that own sportbikes have done our own redline-in-6th blasts down our own personal favorite endless straightaway in the country? I have, quite a few times, and I remain here to tell about it.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #98
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Speed, liberty, and justice for all

Having some experience in speeding in the great state of Minnisota it is time that I speak up.

I am going tomorrow to contest a "basic speed" ticket that I received about a month ago. It was just after dusk, for all intents and purposes, the sun was down and it was nighttime. The office was in a parking lot in front of a small strip mall near my house and saw me whiz by on the road, and gave chase, apparently. I was so far ahead that I didn't realize he was back there until I rounded the corner near my house and he pulled me over in my driveway. After reading me the riot act about killing myself, he have me a "basic speed" ticket. He tried to get me to admit how fast I was going. I hadn't really looked at the speedo so I just told him that. I asked him how fast HE thought I was doing, and he said 65-70mph. He didn't even base this on how fast I LOOKED like I was going, but how fast he needed to go to catch up with me. Needless to say I will tell the prosecutor that they either drop the ticket or I waste their time with a trial.

The moral of the story being that at least in MN, jackass officers can and will give you a ticket for speeding without even attempting to measure your speed.

As somebody else said, it is up to the officers to be fair and accurate because they have the power of the state behind them (but we live in a police state, for all intents and purposes, so I guess that's just wishful thinking). If generalizations and estimates and arbitrary opinions are enough to convict someone of a crime, even a traffic infraction, then someone with an agenda can easily "estimate" someone into an illegality from whence there was not one previously.

Experimental human reaction times at an unexpected event tend to run in the .2 second range. This guy could easily prove that he wasn't going as fast as the officer claimed, through error as well as from the standpoint of the capabilities of the bike, and therefore the officer's estimation was incorrect not only about the speed but about whether the rider was doing anything reckless.

BTW, everybody's harping on this guy as a "donor" and punk kid and whatnot. Well, unsafe as he may be, at least he chose to do this on a deserted road out in the country and not on 394 in downtown Minneapolis. Isn't it the credo of nearly all motorcyclists that our risk to others is less on our motorcycles? That we should be free to do as we wish as long as we don't put anyone else at risk? Didn't this kid make the smart poor choice by choosing to do it in a place where it didn't endanger anybody else? As a human, doesn't he deserve the dignity of risking his own life as long as he doesn't do likewise to anyone else in the process? The spectrum of risk is long and continuous from this kid doing 200MPH helmetless to someone on their Honda spree in full leathers obeying every traffic law to Valentino Rossi's antics on the racetrack. Let's put it this way-----the guy did it and survived without a scratch, and didn't hurt anyone else. Perhaps the risk isn't as great as everyone purports it to be. How many of us that own sportbikes have done our own redline-in-6th blasts down our own personal favorite endless straightaway in the country? I have, quite a few times, and I remain here to tell about it.

Although some are already saying that cops have been paying attention to bikes more here in MN just since this happened, I will give the revenue enforcement officers the same level of attentiveness and respect that I always have. Which is to say not much. If I would have known there was a cop following me when I got my ticket, I wouldn't have stayed around long enough for him to catch up.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #99
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Dream Team Vs The Loser

"Do the math Holy Shyt", good idea, I think I will. Let's see SBP has defeated 100's of similiar tickets by proving in court that the method used (vascar?) isn't accurate, kpaul zero. VWW as I recall is a Lawyer and has presented winning arguments in speeding cases, kpaul zero. SBP and VWW have shown themselves to be intelligent, articulate and capable men, kpaul? SBP and VWW are experienced and respected motorcyclists, kpaul... NOT!

kpaul does it ever occur to you how you come across to people that have 10 times or more experience than you in miles/years on bikes? Of course it does! Your Narcisistic/Masochistic personality self-importantly revels in the abuse you bring upon yourself. "I'm just joking" understand this, YOU ARE THE JOKE. "My work here is done" only if you're trying to prove that you are an a$$hole (kinda like preaching to the choir eh?). Your links, "last night they said on TWT" and MSF scores don't carry much weight with those that have "been there and done that". It's ok not to know everything, nobody does. State your view, disagree with mine, be humorous, make a good point I'll consider it but know that you couldn't force me to change my opinion with a gun, deal with it.

Finally, kpaul I'm weary of your sophomoric condescention, I find it boorish. Eat Shyt kpaul but please make an attempt to discontinue spewing it you biter of fart bubbles. Let's see... yep that all adds up.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #100
Magpres
Founding Member

I'm calling Honda right now and asking them what's wrong with my CBR1000RR because it won't do 205mph. I doubt if the cop calculated or timed the speed correctly. Another Bullsh!t deal to make sportbike riders look bad.

Shaun

CBR1000RR
Magpres is offline   Reply With Quote