Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-12-2001, 03:18 PM   #1
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Deuce vs. Phoenix Reader Feedback

First post and I actually had time to read the article? What's going on here?

Nice to see well made cruisers getting the respect they deserve. Personally, I'd take the H-D, just something odd about the BMW that turns me off.

I'd like to see what HackFu and Minime would do the the H-D if they had it as a long term test ride. I bet the handling and braking would be tweaked quite a bit.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2001, 05:47 PM   #2
backroadbandit
Founding Member

OK, OK, they're just *Cruisers*..........I've owned two softails (butt-busters for sure) and rode a R1200C for 35 miles, west of Yosemite a couple of years ago. I like the oilheads, and own one, but not some dumb cruiser. R1100RS, there's a motorcycle.

I hate to see BMW building cruisers, when they could take the nice pinstripes and oil cooler covers on this bike and make a really really nice street bike out of it, no lie. But they don't, they're playing corporate cruiser wars..........waste of time, and they will find that out, soon.

Rather be out riding my Bandit 1200.
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:37 AM   #3
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Why would I want...

You WOULDN'T want a cruiser! YOU would want a sportbike with lots of power, lots of grip, lots of cornering clearance. And you HAVE what you want.

What you do NOT have, however, is what I want, which is a Honda Nighthawk 750.

Cruiser fans want CRUISERS, and who are WE to tell them that THEY are wrong to want what THEY want???

Everyone rides for their own reason, and the reason chooses the bike.
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:53 AM   #4
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Cruiser

Well... there are people as biased toward cruisers as much as you are biased against them, and this is probably the only way any of those people would consider owning a BMW.

I personally think the R1200C is UGLY, but that's just my opinion, and BMW actually makes a bike for folks like me (or rather folks with my tastes but with enough money to put where their mouths are). It's called the R1100R.

One interesting thing BMW has done with the R1200C is to chrome the Telelever suspension components. The Springer of the future! I like that; pity the rest of the bike is so UGLY!
Old 01-13-2001, 05:07 AM   #5
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruiser comparo...

When are you guys gonna do a comparo between the Honda Rebel 250, the Yamaha Virago 250 and the Suzuki GZ250X?
Old 01-13-2001, 05:12 AM   #6
wingdave
Founding Member

After actually driving both (well.. not the phoenix and the deuce.. but an FX and 1200c..both 98's.. both happened to be friends' scoots)

I gotta tell you, the beemer was hands down a better ride.

More of a sportbike handling wise and braking, it felt like the famed landspeeder from starwars (now there's a ride) to the harley's (for lack of a better term) harley-like handling. The beemer, in my experience, had like the article states, a somewhat zen like feel to it.. solid, stable, and predictable. It inspired a hell of a lot of confidence even at 100 mph plus. I couldn't take the harley past 80 before I started to lose confidence in it, and it probably didn't help that I drove the bmw first. I guess, depending on your riding style.. you could find pro's and con's of each..but what do I know, I ride a lumber tourer.

If I had the bazillion-de-eight clams to lay out for either, I'd fly a Beemer..

My two cents.. and before the flames begin, this was my experience, not yours. Just puttin' it out there.

Shiny side up squids..
wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 05:44 AM   #7
x1lightening
Founding Member

Default Re: I don

Well put!!!! There are very few people out there that actually know the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle. There are even more people that think you are crazy for just getting on one! Be it a cruiser or sportbike or whatever, at least you are enjoying what you are doing! Riding!!
x1lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 06:36 AM   #8
backroadbandit
Founding Member

Ja wohl, Herr Skwidt. Ah, maybe you are out ridink your 250 today?
Old 01-13-2001, 08:17 AM   #9
Wingman
Founding Member

I agree although I have to give the nod to BMW for creating a cruiser that is not a clone. I ride a Goldwing most of the time and have been seriosly considering the new Yamaha or the Suzuki for a little adrenaline in the twisty stuff
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 03:44 PM   #10
backroadbandit
Founding Member

Don't miss 'em. Didn't like the part about the carb manifold coming apart while traveling. The chicks dug it though.....are they smart, or dumb?

Bandit hauls A$$.