Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #51
Jonniedee
Founding Member

Default URAL equals crap

I had a 2003 750 Uralnal Tourist. In 6 months I went through 3 alternators, a full set a timing gears and daily electrical problems. It is MORE than any average gearhead should have to deal with.

AVOID at all costs!!!
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #52
mghempel
Registered Member

Default Re: Arrogance (and ignorance)

Making his point for him? Not at all, just pointing out the absurdity of applying inappropriate standards when evaluating things. Is an H2 triple a crappy bike because it gets terrible mileage and blows blue smoke everywhere? Is a Norton Manx a crappy bike because you have to rebuild the motor several times a season if you are racing it? Is a Brough Superior a crappy bike because it goes much faster than it stops?

Compare a Royal Enfield to a Ducati, and it comes off poorly. Compare a Royal Enfield to a BSA B33, and all of a sudden it doesn't look so bad.

Enfields were built and used as basic transportation, which is the role that they still serve in India. Westerners that buy them for nostalgia shouldn't expect them to operate like a Japanese appliance. If you only want the vintage look, buy a W650 or new Triumph, but get the Enfield if you really want the vintage experience (and less hassles than with a REAL vintage bike).

And no, I don't have an Enfield. However, I do have a Norton Dominator cafe racer, and it does take a lot of extra maintenance if I average more than 70 mph for long periods. However, I can ride all day without problems (well, other than my neck and wrists) if I keep the speed to around 60-65.

mghempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:14 AM   #53
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

Default Re: What's next boys?

I think its time for the dual shootout again... I vote for the KLR v. DR v. XR v. any others out there (maybe F650GS PD?)

What about Husky or KTM? Do they have a 650 thumper DS?

dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:43 AM   #54
Natasa23
Founding Member

Default Re: Royal Enfield Sucks

Royal Enfield does not suck. HOwever, it is not a prime bike in the western world (at lease it should not be). It takes love to love Enfield.

good luck to ya/

Also, Yamaha SR 500 would not be a bad choice. If u have money, why not buy Triumph Thruxton or Bonnewille, or YAMAHA W650? U can get retro, and relative realiability and performance. Anyway, that's my opinion as a Euro. By the way, any more Euros on this site?

Natasa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #55
Dave B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasa23 View Post
.....It takes love to love Enfield.

By the way, any more Euros on this site?
Just came accross this by chance. I run a bullet myself, a 500 '65 (thats an indian bullet, with the origional engine, but a modified 5 speed box. I rode it 200 miles or so at the weekend and rode it to work this morning, she runs well and is a pleasure to ride. OK, she's about the slowest bike I've ever owned, although with the 5 speed box she will cruise happily at 60 - 65.

Enfield's slogan was 'Built like a gun' and that's a good way of thinking about it. I own a flintlock blackpowder pistol, and have also done a bit of shooting with a flintlock shotgun. both are a real pleasure to shoot. Now if I wanted to shoot well and reliably I'd use a modern gun, but the flintlock, whilst technically inferior in every way, is more fun to shoot.

I guess if you are the sort of person who'd enjoy shooting with a blackpowder flintlock, they you'd enjoy riding an enfield. If not then you'd be happier with a Honda.

[IMG][/IMG]
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #56
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

How about riding an Enfield and shooting a Honda with a flintlock..eh?...eh?....works for me!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #57
Dave B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
How about riding an Enfield and shooting a Honda with a flintlock..eh?...eh?....works for me!
I'd have to catch the honda first, so unless it was a C90, I'm pretty much out of luck
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #58
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Or put wheels on an Enfield SMLE and power it with the horrible recoil from those surplus .303 rounds?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #59
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

C'mon now, they don't kick THAT hard...I'm going to go pop a couple off thursday or friday along with my new .357

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #60
1974Bullet
Registered Member

Default Royal Enfields are for manly men

I am the proud owner of a 2008 Bullet Military, 1997 Ural with Sidecar, 1974 Royal Enfield 500, 1999 Honda Rebel. All but the last are called crap by many...

I did not buy the Ural or the Bullets for reliability...but I will tell you this...when I drive any of the bikes with the exception of the Rebel, conversations with strangers and warm feelings of nostalgia abound wherever I go. When I take my father's 2006 Bullet with sidecar out, it turns more heads than any Harley made....Harleys are for Wal-Mart shoppers with big wallets and Royal Enfields are for guys with small pockets and lots of patience.

Royal Enfield owners know how to tinker and savor sitting on a bike that has a longer history than any motorcyle on the planet regardless if it was built in India (not so third world these days) or England. It is a thrill to see oil drip for the Enfield and then to make it leak free with the turn of a wrench and a gasket here and there. It is the same thrill I got as a child playing with an Erector set or Legos.

When you buy Enfield you are supporting spiritual freedom. How? India is a fine ally who is trying to squash Muslim extremism as shown by their dealings with Pakistan.
1974Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote