Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #41
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default What's next boys?

Any chance we may see a GT shootout? Say..

Busa vs ZZR vs New Beemer?

Or how about a real SUV shootout:

KLR 650 vs DR Z650 vs XR650L

No? Fine... How about this...

Royal Star Venture vs Drifter vs Goldwing

Whacha think?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #42
gnlchaos
Registered Member

Default Re: Royal Enfield Sucks

Good call on the Savage.

Ridden several thousand miles on one.

Seat sucks, suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Very thin power band. But the darn thing starts right up every time and I have never had a problem with it.

I always had a suspicion that the Enfields were probably a little too "authentic" - ie: unreliable.
gnlchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #43
Vlad
Registered Member

Default It was me

You remembered the trip, but the wrong bike. Mine was a Ural, and though I had problems, it wasn't anything that the average gearhead couldn't fix ('cept the flying valve cover, which was repaired under warranty). However they have made many changes in the Ural since then. The motor is 750cc, for a little more power (not a lot more). It even has a disk brake up front. I still think that they're cool looking and have shed the ocassional tear at the empty space in my garage. But I haven't been inspired to get another one. Who knows? All I can say is that I would not want to have one for my only mount.

Vlad/Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #44
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

Default Re: What's next boys?

How 'bout the Venture, Goldwing, Electra Glide Classic, BMW's goldwing (whatever it's called), and a Honda Ruckus with saddlebags.

HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #45
pplassm
Founding Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 09-07-2004, 02:43 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Fact of the Matter...

". Of course then I'll have to sell both the Plymouth and the Cutlass to have enough time to keep a Shovel running."

You forgot getting a second job.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 AM   #47
SRMark
Founding Member

To get that old Brit bike experience without the frustration, I'd recommend buying an old Yamaha SR500 and putting a few bucks into it. It will run forever, be easy to maintain and still have that Brit bike look. Those Japanese parts, though over 20 years old, are still better than the new crap in the Enfield. Parts are still rather easy to get and not that expensive. Go to any FSSNOC gathering and you'll see a bunch of them. And, you won't hear their owners calling them a piece of crap.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:25 AM   #48
nosajwols
Founding Member

Default Re: Arrogance (and ignorance)

Considering that is all the Enfeild can do it is flogging it. How long do you think any bike will last if you ride it most of the time wide open?
nosajwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:33 AM   #49
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Thanks for the link PPlassm. This may be the last running example of a non restored Interceptor. With that said there is a reason that this guy is selling this one out of his collection. I've never even seen a picture of a 68 model before. I wonder if he is mistaken about the year of this particular bike. It still has the monobloc style carbeurators. Even backward luddite companies like BSA had shifted to the concentric style in '67. I also loved his ad copy. I doesn't leak much. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:36 AM   #50
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Fact of the Matter...

Nice to see someone your age that appreciates fine British engineering. Neat bike, a time machine.

I bet you're glad the Indians didn't use Whitworth fasteners. BTW, I still have a whole set of Bonney Whitworth sockets & wrenches in the roll-a-way. Where did they get those sizes, anyway? Like the 1/8th is about the size of a 15mm. 1/8th of what? The Kings instep?

I use to squish the Whitworthless sockets down to SAE or Metric sizes in a big vice, until I found out how unobtainium they were.

Has your kickstarter pin broken, and fallen out yet? A pin from a Schwinn bicycle with the 3-piece crank works fine.