Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Royal Enfield Sucks

If you want a trouble free 60's looking Brit bike you can buy a new Bonneville for $7k.

Unless your a gearhead or complete lunatic I wouldn't bother with an Indian Enfield unless it's a .303
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #32
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Arrogance (and ignorance)

>Don't confuse reliability with being

>maintenance free, since they aren't identical.

This is a very good point. Another thing that people often confuse is reliability vs. durability - two entirely different things.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:53 AM   #33
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Yeah, but the Ariel was faster. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #34
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Don't tease them with impossibilites seruzawa. It was nearly impossible to find a running example of the Interceptor in 1964. Looking for one today would be the equivalent of a snipe hunt. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #35
kwh
Founding Member

I've ridden one of these - the local dealer is a mate. If you like authentic vintage motorcycles - and I mean really authentic, compete with authentic engineering, brakes, handling, power, controls, vibration and oil leaks, then the Enfield is for you. However, if you ride it hard (and hard for an Enfield means keeping up with traffic), especially on motorways or freeways, which didn't exist when the Bullet was first built, it will invariably vibrate itself to bits very quickly.

If you want something similar, but better screwed together and with all the reliability and engineering problems dialled out, get that Kawasaki W650 old brit clone. You can use that as practical transport without it falling to bits, but you still probably wouldn't want to, since it's still dog slow.

If you want the 'look and feel' of an old brit bike, but with modern performance parameters, buy a modern Triumph Bonneville.

The Enfield will go on for ever, provided you potter about at 45mph max, and can be maintained with two spanners and a lump hammer, but having ridden one, you'd need to pay me to own one!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

I've seen an Ariel Square 4 twice in the Torrance area. The last I saw it was about 10 years ago in Lomita. So I know there are Ariel Square 4s around that one could score if one was wealthy enough and lucky enough to find one for sale.

Hmmmm... luck usually is associated in aquiring good things. Scratch that "lucky". Except maybe that he was lucky that it ran those two times.

One could make a major Zen meditation on the concept of luck and Britbikes. Somewhere in there must be the resolution to all the problems of life in the universe.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #37
sconley
Founding Member

Default Re: Fact of the Matter...

...No worries as I think you should be proud of your technological heritage... Many americans don't understand that the present day engineering/techno center is in India (especially educationally speaking, their manufacturing sector will soon catch up and reflect that)... But what do you expect from a country full of Dodge trucks with bumper stickers on them that still say, "buy American?" ~Namaste~
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #38
eekadog
Founding Member

i don't miss vibration on my newer sporty...i must agree that the extra weight is a stinker.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #39
Tigercub
Founding Member

If you are not aware of it my now you will have to dive into this bike yourself. All of us with old Brit bikes, of which this Indian bike is an exact replica have to work on our bikes ourselves or we'll never be able to ride them. Alright, the front forks are easy. Support the front end of the bike and pull off the forks. You will need to unscrew the threaded cover and pull the top tube out. The fork seal will need to be popped out with a screw-driver. You know what? Get a manual on this bike. Buy the tools they recommend. Find a spares supplier - there are lots of them - the dealer will help you. Get back online when you are in a jam. Don't give up, it's the most fun you'll have in the garage.

I bought my first big bike in 1975 - a 1970 650 Tiger and it is still my favorite bike. I know every nut and bolt on it and it's the easiest machine to work on and has never (NEVER) been hauled to a shop to be fixed, nor has it ever left me stranded in over 40,000 miles. Something I can't say about any other bike I've owned, mostly Jap bikes, Harleys and a new Triumph.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:10 PM   #40
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Fact of the Matter...

Namaste, my friend.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote