Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-06-2004, 03:57 AM   #11
Hector1
Founding Member

Default Re: Police Arrest 154 mph Tourist

I once worked a wreck in Beaumont, Texas when a R6 rear-ended a Suburban. Problem was, the Sub was going 30 mph or so, and the R6 around 140 mph according the the ZX 6 rider he was racing when it happened.

The Suburban was totaled of course and when I got there, I actually questioned the disptacher, because I couldn't see anything resembling a motorcycle at the scene, and the damage to the Suburban was tremendous.

That rider going 154 mph on public roads should be disallowed to drive for a long time.

Take that kinda speed to a track day, please.
Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 AM   #12
obandoj
Founding Member

I agree with you Sean, I read them and comment on them, and yes I used to send interesting news that were relevant to racing fans, but they were never posted, hence my problems with the longride dude and some other members, who were upset at me for hammering at it. Oh well... They probably are exclusive readers of touring mags and BMW riders
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #13
oldtim
Founding Member

I broke 150 on my cbr 900 but I only did it once and got away with it. But once was enough on the public roads; I like being alive!
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #14
redskier44
Founding Member

Well, I don't think going excessively fast is neccessarily a bad thing. I think that there are places, even on public roads, where its not a big deal. In Michigan, where this guy was arrested - yeah, it probably is always a big deal. Where I live there are so many miles of long flat open roads with zero traffic and miles of sight distance, that if you feel like maxing out your bike and seeing what it can do, the only person you are going to kill if things turn sour is yourself.

How many riders east of the Mississippi can go out and ride a hundred miles and see three or four or no cars at all? Not that hard to do many places in the west. Does that make excessive speed defensible? No, not really, but it doesn't make it insanely dangerous either. Mr. State Trooper is still going to write you a fat ticket or haul your butt off.

Overall, I feel alot safer doing 100 at home in the desert than 50 down a maxed out freeway on the coast. I will readily grant, however, that 154 is pretty silly fast, and I've never done more than about 130 myself.

My $0.02 worth.
redskier44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #15
anrajala
Founding Member

Next time they will leave their Roadmaster idling

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:29 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Absolutely. 100 MPH along I-70 near Green River, Utah is much safer than 50 MPH down I-5 near Dago. Especially if Buz is out on his MV.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #17
anrajala
Founding Member

154 is a horrendous crime. Or is it really. If you have a 2-litre Ascona and you manage to floor it to 125 on a long straight on a German autobahn, you'd bloody better stick to the slower lane or each and every hausfrau will be flashing lights on your a$$.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #18
Crackerbat
Founding Member

Bah, i got stopped at 164 in my car..

I believe they arn't allowed to chase you over 135 or somethin like that. They didn't chase me at all.. got taged by a trooper with a laser.. then roadblocked a ways up the interstate.

Speed is all in the eye of the beholder. My mother thinks 75mph is insane.. I have an autocross background and a racing license..

If you spend time deep into triple digits.. 75 doesn't seem such a big deal.

Crackerbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:15 AM   #19
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Just curious

May I ask what the heck where you doing at 164mph on a public road?

Note that I am not criticising at all, just being curious.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:28 PM   #20
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

Saw Irish Road Racing at about 12:30am Pacific on Speed last night. Reminded me of the Isle of Man TT. I don't know what course they were on, but it was like a motorcross track paved over. Bikes were going airborne and gettin' all out of shape slidin' over the bumps. Amazing.

Speaking of the Isle of Man TT, does anyone know where I can buy a copy of all the 2004 races? I taped as much as I could off Speed, but there's a lot of stuff they don't show. I consider myself lucky to have been able to see the sidecar racing. I wish I could watch a whole season of it.

Should I ever have the means, I hope to travel to the Isle and see it all first-hand.
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote