Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Helmets are law again in Louisiana (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/2497-helmets-law-again-louisiana.html)

kowalke67 08-24-2004 08:08 PM

Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

Well, maybe here is a good one to start with. Because Illinois does not have a helmet law states can be gathered on deaths with helmets and death without helmets.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the motorcycle death stats (three links at the top of the page will give you numbers for 2000, 2001, and 2002):

Illinois helmet and non helmet motorcycle deaths 2000-2002

I don't know what happened in 2002 but riders seemed to learn something. An anomaly maybe? Kind of strange.

I for one can tell you I am in the overwhelming minority in this state wearing a helmet. I'm not even going to get in to the number of people I see riding in flip-flops. I just think about my little piggys getting caught in the spokes, having 500 lbs of motorcycle fall and slide on them, or slipping off the peg and grinding on the asphalt and I literally cringe.

Nerobro 08-24-2004 08:49 PM

There's a reason they're called squids... *looks at his boots* My feet will NOT be calamari

bikervince 08-25-2004 02:23 AM

Even with those numbers it is difficult to prove anything. Out of 126 deaths, 14 were helmeted riders and 96 were un-helmeted (and 16 unknown). That would seem clearly prove that helmets saved lives. But, as you pointed out, most riders in your state do not wear helmets. So even that statistic is skewed. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue that helmets don't save lives, I'm just pointing out the difficulty of drawing any solid conclusion from any data set with regard to this issue.)

BikerVince

Pacer 08-25-2004 02:35 AM

yea, only helmet riding freaks wreck. :o) Better then non helmet freaks wecking.

Pacer 08-25-2004 02:36 AM

dress for the wreck not the ride.

AtlantaAllen 08-25-2004 02:46 AM

I generally agree with all of us supporting freedom of choice as to whether to wear a helmet or not.

Recently, however, I've had to rethink my views because logic would dictate that if we should have the freedom to chose whether to wear a helmet or not, then motorist should also have the freedom to chose whether to wear seat belts or not.

None of us likes to be told what to do, but even though I don't wear a seat belt all the time, I couldn't, in good concience, support doing away with seat belt laws for automobiles.

Using this analogy, it pains me to agree that helmet laws should not be repealed. If my reasoning is wrong please let me know. I'd like to have a good reason to abandon this PC position.(Other than saying 'Yea, seat belt laws ought out to be repealed too' cause it ain't gonna happen.)

Allen

Labrat 08-25-2004 03:22 AM

In Ohio, helmet use is mandatory for anyone under 18 or with less than 1 year of riding experience. I guess they figure that we must become impervious to harm after that.

Labrat 08-25-2004 03:23 AM

In Ohio, helmet use is mandatory for anyone under 18 or with less than 1 year of riding experience. I guess they figure that we must become impervious to harm after that.

sanitar 08-25-2004 03:37 AM

I was just going to resort to the same analogy - and then saw your post. No one seems to be arguing about seatbelts, but the helmet laws spark vivid discussions every time. It is not true, by the way (commenting on another post) that non-helmet accidents do not have an impact on the society. Working in a large hospital, I can testify that severe brain injuries have profound impact - both economical and psychological - on the families and the society in general. At the time when millions of americans do not have health insurance every smashed head drains hundreds of thousands through the hospital costs, disability payments, nursing homes (if the victim is unlucky enough to make it there) and so on. And who is paying for all of this? Directly or indirectly - all of us. I support the freedom of smashing one's head on the payment only if I have a freedom of not paying for the aftermath.

longride 08-25-2004 03:39 AM

The only hard numbers I can come up with are that people die every day, every way imaginable. My lifetime of firefighting and ambulance work will tell you that. They die protected and unprotected. They die happy and sad. They die young and old. They die at weddings and funerals. If I really looked to be safe on the roads, I guess I would get a 5 star safety rated car with side airbags, wear my seatbelt, have a helmet on in the car with full armored protective gear, and never drive 1 mile an hour over the speed limit. Now that's safety. All of you will do the same, right? No? We need laws then. I would also limit my travel to and from work to limit the exposure to danger. We need laws for that too. Anyone that does any less than that is risking injury or death unnecessarily, and that cannot be tolerated in any way. Oh, about the firefighter thing. I shouldn't have done that job either because of the risk of death or injury. Should have taken a desk job so the closest I could get to a real injury is a paper cut. Is a helmet safer? Sure. How much? Nobody knows. Is a car safer than a motorcycle? Absolutely. Why are we riding these things then? Because we love it. If you love riding without a helmet, do it. If you like riding with one. Do that. Let's not pretend that one is not going to die and the other is.