Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #82
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: A viw from the O.R.

I'd like to think that you are smarter than the thing you just typed.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 AM   #83
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: It doesn't matter if it's dangerous or not!

Back the government up the the size it was in 1900, and I think we would have a good start. More laws create more agencies that create more lobbying to create more laws to create more agencies. Gotta say one thing here. I have read your stuff in magazines since I was a kid JB. I respect your opinions and thoughts, even though I don't agree with some of them. I think it's pretty cool chatting with a guy I thought was a really good moto journo and read most of his stuff through the years. Gotta say the Internet is only really cool cause the Gov hasn't touched it. Yet. Let's hope they don't get here too soon, or we will have to wear helmets to type! LOL
Old 08-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #84
mile_eater
Founding Member

Got news for ya Johnboy, that FDA ya seem to like is the root cause of the health care problems we face today.

there are two ways the FDA can kill people:

1) by approving a bad drug

2) by not approving a good drug

Option one is very easy to detect. Someone takes a drug and it kills them... folks notice.

Option two is not. The whole better safe than sorry.

So we have companies spending well over 200 million dollars to get drugs approved.

You know why drugs cost less in canada? economics. It's cheaper to get them approved there.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM   #85
bubba2003
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

I live in Louisiana and have ridden for 45 years, half of it offroad only. I have always ridden wearing a helmet, regardless of the law. Why take a chance? A few years ago a long-time riding buddy was trying out a new (to him) bike while helmetless and had slowed to turn around. A deer jumped out in front of him when he was off-balance and tumbled into him, he fell and hit his temple on a curb. Game over permanently for him. Speed was 5 mph.
bubba2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #86
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Liberal ideology

By the way... it's been working great for ya. I mean... you guys have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country... but LA ain't exactly known for it's low crime right huh?

And how about those rollin' blackouts? Did ya like those too?

This is what happens when you look to the government to solve your problems Johnboy. Invariably, the government makes them worse.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #87
johnnyb
Founding Member

thanks LR, i appreciate that a lot.

In 1900, there was no such thing as food inspection, and thousands of people died from tainted meat and things. Sinclair Lewis wrote all about it in The Jungle (I think about the Chicago stockyards.) Rivers caught fire the pollution was so bad. Kids labored away in sweat shops from the age of 5. Life expectancy was somewhere shy of 40. Govt. is capable of excess of course, but all these agencies didn't arise out of a vacuum, they came into being because society saw a need.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:18 AM   #88
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

I'm not encouraging anything. In every post I have made some comment about idiots not wearing helmets, or wearing those little skull caps.

Everyone should wear a fullface helmet at all times. In fact, everyone should gear up from head to toe at all times.

Isn't odd to find someone who has an opinion, but doesn't think you should make his opinion law.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #90
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: A view from EP

Then you'd have to buy your tobacco in little plastic bags, from some guy standing on a street corner in Frog Town.

Double me up, homie!

Just 'cause it's illegal, don't mean you can't get it...