Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-25-2004, 05:31 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

Did you ever hear him say to her you should have taken the car?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2004, 05:32 AM   #32
mkopecky
Founding Member

I spent some time in Indianapolis a few years ago, and they apparently don't or didn't have a helmet law back then. I can't tell you how many sport bike riders I saw with no helmets (and flip flops), and a girl in a bikini on the back with no helmet, and no shoes.

The only time I can remember seeing anyone with a helmet was an older couple on a Wing with a trailer, and they were probably from out of state on a long drive.

Given the opportunity, all types of riders will go without helmets. My guess is that you are right regarding sport riders who actually go to the track and have advanced training.

That being said, I ride both a sport bike (FJ1200) and a small cruiser (Vulcan 750) and always wear a helmet, but don't think that there should be a law about.

I DO think that if you get in an accident with me, and you're not wearing a helmet that you (or more likely your family) shouldn't be able to sue me for your resulting brain damage.

mkopecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #33
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: Seatbelts

Another point about seatbelts. That is a seatbelt keeps your butt in the seat at the controls of the car. I got in a fishtailing situation in my old '62 Impala without seatbelts years ago. My control of the car was minimal because all I could do was basically hold on to the steering wheel to stay behind it. Fine control was not an option.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:05 AM   #34
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

"Most people that ride sportbikes are smart enough to wear helmets."

That's where you're wrong, my friend. I'm not sure where you're from, but here in the wonderful world of Illinois, the vast majority of sportbike riders do NOT wear helmets. On my daily commute, I never see more than one or two bikers wearing helmets. Some people have them on the backs of their bikes, and choose not to wear them, but most do not even carry one.

dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:13 AM   #35
ofreen
Registered Member

It has always seemed to me that the arguments commonly used to support mandatory helmet usage could just as easily be turned around to justify banning riding motorcycles altogether. The fact is motorcycle crashes are dangerous whether you are wearing a helmet or not. It is just a matter of degree. A prudent person will minimize their exposure to risk of serious injury, but again where do you draw the line? There are plenty who will tell you the line should be at not allowing others to ride motorcycles or engage in any other risky activity (anything they don't want to do themselves.)

As far as the debate on helmet laws vs. seatbelt laws, any argument used to justify mandatory helmet usage for motorcyclists could just as easily be applied to cage drivers with their high rate of head injuries. Try getting a mandatory helmet law for cage drivers passed!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:20 AM   #38
johnnyb
Founding Member

y know, LR, guys who go around espousing your view are Responsible for who knows how many brain injuries. Impressionable youths might listen to you and decide you're 100% right, and right there decide not to wear a stupid helmet. I am behind your decision not to wear a helmet, but please stop telling people they're no safer with a helmet than without one. Whatever the statistics can be made to say, it's obvious to any halfway sentient being that a helmet makes sense anytime speed and human heads are combined. You are right, we're all gonna die, but I don't want you buying my kid Marlboros and 6-packs just because of it. Same damn thing.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 AM   #40
ofreen
Registered Member

Respectfully, I must disagree. The debate concerning how far the government should be allowed to intrude into citizens' lives and how much it can dictate their behavior is an eternal one.