Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #201
dsouthard
Registered Member

Default Re: It doesn't matter if it's dangerous or not!

Here's why you should give a f&ck about France: according to the latest round of cases, yahoo is responsible for making sure that their site conforms to France's laws with regards to sale of Nazi memorabilia. Casting aside the nazi part, that means that one country gets to apply it's decency standards to an internet site housed in another country. There has already been plenty of legislation introduced in the US that applies similar principles. To use a more alarmist example: How would MO react if they had to adjust the content according to arbitrary decency standards from whatever county/state/country could type in your URL? [Though maybe putting that chopper model in a head-to-toe burka would have gone over well with some of the MOrons. ]

From a more personal, sucks for me level. As of 1998 case law, ISPs are not considered common carriers. This is a double-edged sword -- on the good side it means that internet providers are free to do things like filter spam, which is what the case was initially about. The bad side is that since ISP's are not common carriers, they can be held responsible for actions users might take on their systems. Again using MO as an example: it would be legally permissible to file a lawsuit against MO for a libelous statement that kpaul made on the site (not that that would ever happen -- he's too entertaining). Because MO is not a common carrier, they do not have common carrier immunity. [There has since been a little bit of case law and other legislative/executive changes that blunt the 1998 case, but last I checked, ISPs in the US are still without common carrier immunity. There are some similar parallels in the journalism realm -- web sites are generally not afforded the same first amendment protections as other media.]

Though not Internet specific in its application, the DMCA was crafted to curb content piracy on the Internet, and is by most accounts a really really bad law. It unfortunately affects me directly since a good part of my work is computer and systems security -- something that the DMCA occasionally makes difficult to do.

I can probably dredge up some property law crap as well, but this post is long enough. Any of Lessig's books or his blog are a good place to dig up further info. As I said in the previous post, I agree with your general point --- they haven't yet f___ed things up beyond usability yet. But the infrastructure is being put in place one library at a time, with plenty of help from both political parties.

dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #202
kjam68
Registered Member

Default IDIOTS

If you guys leave your house without a full-face helmet on, you are an idiot, regardless of the law. If you fall of and hit your head at 35 mph, you are pretty much toast (that is the speed they crash test most vehicles). I have appreciate the freedom issue, but driving is a PRIVILAGE not a right. That's why they can take your license if you can't handle the privlage. It is also worth noting that you should be responsible for extra health insurance so the rest of us don't have to foot the bills when you are in a veggitative state for the rest of your life. Or they have to reconstruct your face because your chin was ground off. I have read all the b.s. about how they really don't save lives, but you only get 1 chance with the old brain. It doesn't heal quite like skin or broken bones.
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #203
dsouthard
Registered Member

Default Re: It doesn't matter if it's dangerous or not!

My first Internet use was from a vt100 connected to a vax running unix, so I was definitely safe from viri and malware.

Actually, I'm primarly a unix/linux guy (with some occasional MacOS X thrown in) so I'm still pretty safe. Unfortunately, being a computer geek, I end up getting calls to fix friends and relatives Windows boxes, so I still feel your pain. [zonealarm, spybot, adaware, and stinger are your friends -- or just switch to something other than windows.]

And how boring would life be without kpaul? I feel like I should pop popcorn before I log into MO.
dsouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #204
kjam68
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

Most automobile deaths involve alcohol. That is illegal.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #205
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Except he's not young anymore.

Old and stupid isn't quite as cute.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #206
kjam68
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

See you at the Anarcist rally in New York. Do you understand the term Fascism or do you think it just sounds cool. We are nowhere near Fascism in the U.S. I agree with your lack of motivation with regard to the bicameral nature of our government. It is true, however, that the Islamic terrorists would like the Libertarian Party to be in power as they need all the rights you espose in order to sneak in the nukes. On second thought, maybe a Fascist government would be best.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:38 PM   #207
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: No problem just pay for it.

First of all,I wear a helmet...the point which has been made endlessly but you fail to comprehend is not that we dont want to wear a helmet we just dont want the law to mandate it

Second,Ive been paying st5eadily increasing health insurance for 31 years.My high rates are driven by societry's idiots who do drugs have unprotected sex,drive drunk,ride sportbikes at high speeds,and many other things far more than those who have accidents without helmets

Third of all,I dont think the general society think lidless riders look any more ridiculous than those wearing full helmets and shorts or riding in brightly colored leathers for that matter.

Fourth of all ......ahhh forget it.I'm joining Lonbgride in his ignore KPAUL campaign

Bye
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:45 PM   #208
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: No Problem

Your absolutely right.My vintage MX buds laugh at me.....I limp out of my truck,painfully climb on my bike and all pain goes away.Then I get back to the pits and they help peel me off the bike.But it keeps me feeling young.I think if I stop riding,Id spiritually die.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #209
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh balls!

No you cant make stuff up,,,,,,thatas what KPAUl does and why everybody hjates him
Old 08-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #210
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Snow White

I wish all a**holes who never wore a uniform would STFU about ANYONE's sevice record.