Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-25-2004, 03:11 AM   #11
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Screw 'em!

I live in a state where you have to wear a helmet on a damned bicycle!

This is what happens when women gain real power people! They use the government to outlaw unpleasantness.

A little girl gets hit by a car, and now we all have to wear helmets. never mind that the helmet wouldn't have saved the girl, or even lessened the damage.

But it makes them feel better. They did something! They saved someone!

We can't smoke, we can't ride a bicycle without a helmet, and we can't have more than 3 gallons of water in our toilets.

Welcome to Liberal Hell. Ain't it funny how the folks who call themselves Liberals are the ones who want to outlaw everything?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 AM   #12
Whatmough
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

What's the old saying? Statistics lie and liers use statistics? Anyone with enough sence to put his or her pants on in the morning before going out the door knows that you're safer wearing a helmet than not. I live in the "Feel free to Die" state and the vast amjority of riders choose to go w/o helmet. The first accident I had, over the handlebars, through the faring onto the pavement head first. Thankfully I had a lid on. Unfortunately governments are forced to try and legislate common sence, it doesn't work. More and more I see young women (who's looking) riding sport bikes in halter tops (looking?), shorts and hair blowin in the wind. Good luck to them and all the others who choose to go helmetless, I hope they never need one.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:19 AM   #13
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Screw 'em!

YEAH! keep the *****es in the kitchen. RIGHT ON!

P.S. Kerry's a rider and well we all know Bush can't even ride a Segway.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:20 AM   #14
mkopecky
Founding Member

Default Seatbelts

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that many of the seat belt laws are modivated by the fact that liability insurance / health insurance costs have dictated them. In a car it's been shown that even a minor accident can have fatal results without a seatbelt, and people can walk away from major accidents if they did wear one. Ofcourse every accident is different, but I think that the odds are in your favor with a seatbelt. Also keep in mind that cars/trucks carry more passengers, so we are talking about a lot of liability money in play.

With motorcycles being in the minority there is likely less pressure from insurance companies to have these laws. I would guess that most of the laws are created by people who haven't ridden, and just want to protect us from ourselves. I for one wear a full face helmet, and anyone who is a passenger wears one as well. I wouldn't think about riding without one. But I wouldn't force anyone else (riding their own bike) to wear one.

mkopecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:22 AM   #15
eekadog
Founding Member

I hear some guys wear those bandanas and wife beaters for the wrecks riding with them.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:26 AM   #16
eekadog
Founding Member

I think a stupid part of the law is that you can wear those DOT approved worthless flame buckets and be in compliance. What is the point?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:27 AM   #17
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Screw 'em!

excellent... whatever you do, don't address the point.

consider the fact that I'm a stay at home dad, and my wife is an anesthesiologist before you rant about me being a sexist.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:29 AM   #18
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Well said longtime arch nemesis. I spoke to this gentleman at Gold's a few days ago and he claims to investigate motorcycle accidents here in Nebraska. Drinking, inexperience, and group riding all have high correlation to bike accidents according to him. First time inexperienced riders let down their guard after their first 6 to 8 weeks of riding, riders try to keep up with group that is riding too fast for their skill level, and booze needs no explanation. I personally wear a so-called novelty helmet to keep the cops off my case and it keeps the sun out of my eyes and is lighter on my stiff neck. Nebraska has a helmet law but when I go over to Iowa I sometimes will take my helmet off. Depends on the sun. My son, who rides behind me wears a full face helmet always and never complains, not that it would do any good. My wife always wears her helmet and pilots her own 600cc Yamaha. I grew up in Iowa and we never wore helmets because we didn't have to. I say, if you want to wear one then do and if you don't, then you shouldn't be forced. Freedom is in the details. George Bush would understand that if for one, he had a brain, and secondly if it wasn't just something that he reads in front of him along with the rest of his bullshyte.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:30 AM   #19
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default You'd better wear

that helmet, you'd better wear that helmet.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Too bad governments haven't legislated the common sense to drive a car instead of doing stupid shyt like riding a motorcycle, eh?