Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Helmets are law again in Louisiana (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/2497-helmets-law-again-louisiana.html)

longride 08-25-2004 08:29 AM

Re: It doesn't matter if it's dangerous or not!

Yes, I read The Concrete Jungle. Yes, some agencies are here to protect us, but protecting me from harmful products and polluters, and protecting me from myself are two different animals IMO. I think todays society sees too many needs for self-protection, and I rail against those. I think it goes something like the more idiot proof you make something, the more you become an idiot. Lets clear up that other issue. Yes, helmets are safer than not. No, I still don't want a law saying I have to wear one. Yes, I do wear a helmet 80% of the time. I also choose not to wear it and like the fact I can choose, adn would hope that you would be on the side of choice.

johnnyb 08-25-2004 08:36 AM

Re: A view from EP

but i wouldn't go to that much trouble, see? i only smoke cause i can pick up a pack wherever i go...

gbrummett 08-25-2004 08:58 AM

Re: Helmets are law again in Louisiana

Yes, and I guess if we all rode around in a Hummer with crash gear and helmets on we would be even safer.

johnnyb 08-25-2004 09:00 AM

Re: Liberal ideology

so, all the good things govt. has done are way offset by the bad things it has done? i see.

SeanAlexander 08-25-2004 09:08 AM

Re: Seatbelts

Of course it was a 62 Impala, so even if you had been strapped-in and driving on clean/dry pavement "fine" control still wouldn't have been an option :-)

SeanAlexander 08-25-2004 09:13 AM

Re: Faulty logic

Duh.

I'm fairly certain that Longride's entire post was about minimizing the risk of injury.

Oh Damnit! I just fell for it again! Damn you KPaulKook!!!!

YellowDuck 08-25-2004 09:14 AM

I understand the "freedom of choice" arguments, but it just strikes me as kind of a stupid freedom to worry about. Kinda like fighting for the freedom to play Russian Roulette - after all, it's only you that is going to get hurt, right? So, it should be your choice?

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I really do feel like in this case the "right to choose" is nothing more than the "right to be stupid". I am a Canadian, and sometimes feel like you 'murcans take the personal liberties arguments to ridiculous extremes. If a behaviour is very obviously dangerous and has only very limited benefits (like, good hair? Saving $100? I dunno...) then I don't have a problem with disallowing it.

Just wear a lid for Pete's sake.

SeanAlexander 08-25-2004 09:21 AM

"LET" the Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood.......

Exactly KP. We should "let" free people make their own choices. Or, are you of the opinion that someone can still be "free" while their govt. tells them what color shoes to wear and what to put on their heads and what to brush their teeth with? -Sean