Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-06-2004, 06:32 AM   #72
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Hey now KPaul has gone to the dark side.

I believe he said "laser jammer", not "radar jammer".
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:33 AM   #73
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

Default Re: Anti-Motorcycle Rant

The sad part is that our governor just pulled funding from rider education to use elsewhere... maybe there is more of a problem somewhere else...

dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #74
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

Even down-state there are no roads with speed limits above 65 mph. And you're right, all expressways in the greater Chicago area have a 55 mph speed limit.

dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:19 AM   #76
iamz
Founding Member

I agree with the author of this article. The young idiots she is describing are very much in existence. There is nothing to rebut. They are what they are and they do what they do and yes, they make the rest of us look bad to some people. I see no need to defend their lunatic driving habits.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #77
gruss
Founding Member

Default I agree, not anti biker, she's just from Chicago

I've seen the idiots she's talking about, and even if she is a cager some of these "bikers" are a menace and make us all look bad.

I think its funny though, "while I"m doing 70 in the left hand lane" if your doing 70 down 294 or practically any expressway in that area your bound to get ran over, but in typical Illinios fashion she stays in the fast lane anyway. So while the people she is talking about are ignorant, her driving skills really dont give her the right to bash anyone.

PS Sorry if I offended any of you F.I.P.s
Old 07-06-2004, 08:37 AM   #78
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default Just plane nuts

Maybe we could put a few facts into this argument. It's from Wisconsin so insert your cheesehead jokes as required. 100 people died riding a motorcycle in Wisconsin, popular MOron wisdow wuould have it that they would all be squids but to find the real story look at this following facts and website.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...cyclefacts.pdf

Taken from Pioneer Press

Posted on Sun, Dec. 07, 2003

WISCONSIN ROADWAYS: Motorcycle deaths rise sharply in 2003

A study by the Wisconsin Transportation Department showed that a surprising number of motorcyclists killed were middle-aged.

Since 1995, motorcyclists age 45 and older experienced the highest increase in fatalities compared with other age groups. And as of last week, 39 percent of those killed were age 45 or older. That compares with five deaths in that age group in 1995.

"We know we have more motorcycle drivers and more in the 40-to-45 age group, and some of them haven't taken riding training, or did years ago, but haven't since they started riding again," Thompson said.

Although he thinks training will help, Blaine O'Connel said some of it comes down to a lack of common sense.

"If you are an inexperienced rider, an 80-horsepower, 700- pound motorcycle isn't a good place to start," said O'Connel, a River Falls motorcycle technician and longtime rider. "If you combine lack of experience with a few beers, it can be a dangerous situation."

MOTORCYCLE FATALITY FACTS

Deadliest months: June, 20 deaths; August, 19 deaths.

Drinking plays a role: 41.5 percent had alcohol in bloodstream.

Weather: 91 percent of fatal crashes occurred on dry pavement.

Helmet use: 75 percent were not wearing a helmet.

Middle aged victims: 49 percent were 35 to 54 years old.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 AM   #79
Andonyx
Registered Member

Thanks for the catch. I don't get downstate too often, most of my travel is lateral these days...

I thought there were some 70s on the way to St. Louis, but I guess I had crossed state lines.

Well, maybe her article is suggesting that in a 65MPH zone, most people cruise around 70. I guess a little speeding is okay, but not too much? That seems silly.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #80
jismith1
Founding Member

Helmets are sound protection. They have saved many lives in the states where they have been mandated. There are leathers and other riding gear that can proctect other body parts in the event of a spill. I wear leathers and live in California and one can get leather jackets (and ones made of other super proctective materials) that breathe and do not feel uncomfortable in 90+ degree days. Protection should be worn.... if you want to be protected. As far as the speeding and other wreckless riding that was mentioned in the article, its stupid and she is right about that. I think that I finally re-red the article and decided to look at it from the perspective of what can be improved as opposed to just shutting her down.
jismith1 is offline   Reply With Quote